stiff calf

Help Support CattleToday:

broke farmer

Reaction score
we have a very healthy month old calf that all of a sudden started drying up....becoming very thin and is very stiff...joints will not bend like they should....any help or suggestions appreciated.

selenium deficiency?

Ask the vet if he would recommend a shot of Bose...you'll have to get it from the vet.

Or, Bez has suggested getting selenium tabs from the drug store and giving them, but I don't know how much.

Bez?

Alice

Don't give selenium unless you know that it is a deficiency.The calf may be getting enough selenium elsewhere and to much selenium causes the same symptons as not enough.Call your vet it may have a parasite or bacterial infection.Is it still eating the same amount and was it ever sick as a young calf like a week old.There is to much information needed before any suggestions can be given.If you don't want to loose it call a vet.There are tons around this time of year and always out and about because of calving season.

Alice":2je9zol5 said:
selenium deficiency?

Ask the vet if he would recommend a shot of Bose...you'll have to get it from the vet.

Or, Bez has suggested getting selenium tabs from the drug store and giving them, but I don't know how much.

Bez?

Alice

I do not believe this is a selenium problem - but then again I am not a veterinarian and I cannot see this animal.

Have never heard of selenium tablets - I think you got that either by mistake or from someone else - I use injectible - buy it from the feed store.

Bez>

Bez>":7zmba0hl said:
Alice":7zmba0hl said:
selenium deficiency?

Bez?

Alice

I do not believe this is a selenium problem - but then again I am not a veterinarian and I cannot see this animal.

Have never heard of selenium tablets - I think you got that either by mistake or from someone else - I use injectible - buy it from the feed store.

Bez>

Sorry...my bad.

I thought selenium was a script...am I wrong?

So, I go back to my origional statement...

Ask the vet if he would recommend Bose...

Alice

Alice":3e6kcpp2 said:
selenium deficiency?

Bez?

Alice

Sorry Alice I should hve put that in my post I didn't mean to sound like you were advocating something that should not be used.So we are on the same page <Ask the Vet> the only person who really knows ;But I gotta say that sometimes you just have to go with your gut.A couple of times I have diagreed with the prescribed directions by my vet to look after a sick animal and am glad I did.I guess it is the same with humans if unsure get a second/third opinion.
Syd

Isn't it funny how we can bicker and diasagree or go off topic for 3 or 4 pages( not this one but thinking of a few in the past that ened up completely not on topic) and then the original poster does not reply back for days or not at all.Makes ya kinda go hmmmmm?

Syd Sydney":n3c6rllt said:
Alice":n3c6rllt said:
selenium deficiency?

Bez?

Alice

Sorry Alice I should hve put that in my post I didn't mean to sound like you were advocating something that should not be used.So we are on the same page <Ask the Vet> the only person who really knows ;But I gotta say that sometimes you just have to go with your gut.A couple of times I have diagreed with the prescribed directions by my vet to look after a sick animal and am glad I did.I guess it is the same with humans if unsure get a second/third opinion.
Syd

The problem we have around here is that the large animal vets are not real prone to want to fool with baby calves (it's either dairy herds or horses that they spend most of their time with)...so, we are pretty much on our own with baby calves.

Alice :)

Syd Sydney":2pa4z5ah said:
Isn't it funny how we can bicker and diasagree or go off topic for 3 or 4 pages( not this one but thinking of a few in the past that ened up completely not on topic) and then the original poster does not reply back for days or not at all.Makes ya kinda go hmmmmm?

or grrrrrrr....

Alice

I'm under the impression that Selenium injection is a prescription (vet only). Although easy to get. The injectable comes in two forms, BO-SE and a more concentrated for MU-SE. I know you can get the Vit A,D& E at the feed store. All new calves on our place get a shot of BO-SE and Vit A,D&E just after birth.

I would check with your vet on your calf, Doesn't sound like a selenium problem to me.

Alan

To start, if it was me, I would take the calf's temp, 101.5 is normal. If it has a fever treat with a good antibiotic, pen is safe, Baytril is better. I don't think LA200 will help you. It won't hurt the calf to give it a shot of BO-SE and Vit A,D&E, one shot won't O.D. it, IMO the shots will do more good that bad. But number one call a vet, it's impossible to give a complete diagnosis and treatment program over the internet, call a vet just for their input if nothing else.

JMO,
Alan

Got this from Hoard's Dairyman...

White muscle disease also known as stiff calf disease and muscular dystrophy; the causes may be complex. Predisposing conditions are a selenium deficiency in two to seven week old calves lacking exercise, being somewhat undernourished and suffering stress from other diseases.

I am in no way saying that this is the problem...but it's something to look into.

And, for certain, if you can get a vet to do it, have the calf checked out by one. However, knowledge is power and it doesn't hurt to let a vet know that you've been doing some homework.

Alice

Latest posts