stevenson basin sale

Help Support CattleToday:

401 $11000,450 $7500. Does anyone have any comments on Stevenson-Basin cattle?Are they worth the extra money?

I have a herd of around 100 pure blooded black angus cows that I have used the best bulls that I could afford on for the last 15 years. I do not have a calculator that will show me how to come out paying those kind of prices for bull power. I just cannot make it work here in my part of the country. I either need a new calculator or I need to move where an $ 11,000 bull would return that kind of a difference to the bottom line. I am sure those folk's cattle are worth every dollar they brought, but I have to make a little profit every year or two at least.

Med":2v763mcp said:
I either need a new calculator or I need to move where an $ 11,000 bull would return that kind of a difference to the bottom line. I am sure those folk's cattle are worth every dollar they brought, but I have to make a little profit every year or two at least.
You need to read the report again. Not every bull brought $11,000.00 The question was "were the cattle worth the extra money mone"y, not if every animal was worth $11,000.00.

Good cattle will pay for themselves, they always sell at the top of the market.

There are a lot of factors depicting how much money should be spent on a " herd bull" that will breed papered cows.

Know this much, don't let a commercial guy outbid you on a real good herdbull.

If you ever get a chance, hit up the Summitcrest sale in Broken Bow, they have couple of commercial cattlemen up there that do just that on a routine basis. The even took a couple of bulls away from an AI sire once. Now, if they find out these two guys like the bull, they simply offer them a percentage ownership. Everyone seems to have found out it is a lot easier to join them than beat them.

As far as Stevenson Basin, they say that's why they sell 1000 head of bulls in the spring, and 1000 in the fall, to keep the market where their commercial customers can buy bulls.

dph":25ylbh76 said:
As far as Stevenson Basin, they say that's why they sell 1000 head of bulls in the spring, and 1000 in the fall, to keep the market where their commercial customers can buy bulls.

Heart warming. ;-) :roll:

10,000 comedians out of work in this country and this guy thinks he is one of them :lol: lakading: I think you mentioned you were from Eastern Iowa. Did you go to the Summitcrest sale at Fremont last Satruday? I might have seen you there, if you did.

dph":31z9n8xv said:
10,000 comedians out of work in this country and this guy thinks he is one of them :lol: lakading: I think you mentioned you were from Eastern Iowa. Did you go to the Summitcrest sale at Fremont last Satruday? I might have seen you there, if you did.

No, wasn't there. Anyway, nothing against SB, as they have a solid program and seem to do quite well for themselves and their customers. Was just inferring that that particular statement seemed to be lip service.