Stetson may sue me .......

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A few months ago when that Broke Back Mountain movie came out, I was at the feed store when a young man came in wearing a new Stetson. The conversation got on hats and went on for some time. I think the boy slept in his hat because you never saw him without it. A few weeks later, being the wise arse that I am at times - I jokingly made the comment that the boy must have seen the movie Broke Back Mountain cause he bought the hat right after the movie debut.

He hasn't worn the hat since. Only wears a JD cap now.

I wonder if that movie has affected the sale of hats.

hey, jogeephus, you remember rhinestone cowboy? that cowboy hat thing has been going on in san francisco for many years....but i don't give a sweet (be nice) how they do it in california....smog control on a Harley????

I'm a cap man. Always have been. You see very few Stetsons in SE Indiana. I'll wear an "outback" kind of hat sometimes in the sun in the summer.
A buddy of mine moved to Texas for a while after high school. He called me the first night from a laundromat in Houston and said "Geez, everybody's wearing a cowboy hat".

I started wearing a hat about 3 years ago I found how functional it is for work in the rain and hot sun. If you ever ask a DR. a wide brim hat is the great prevention for skin cancer. Not alot of cowboy hats in southern VA so you always get weird looks when you go in the grocery store but remeber it's not the hat you wear that is important it's whats under it. Sounds like your friend is a little worried about how others judge him with a hat on. Just be yourself.

You are likely the umpteenth person who made that comment. That is a pretty common cut-up these days. Friends quip about my boots and such. I don't own a hat and haven't in a long time. I wear caps all the time. There was a time when most everyone put the felt on after labor day and the straw on after Easter. Religiously

I've worn boots and a hat since I've been around. Got in a good many rumbles in elementary and middle school because of my wrangler jeans and cowboy boots when I went to school with the city kids. I got a real nice black hat that I wear most everywhere, but I usually wear a cap when working or going somehwere unfamiliar. Just kind of habit after the years of abuse back when. Still love my ole Resistol for them hot summer days on top of a tractor.

After you have had a couple of skin cancers removed from your face or neck, maybe you won't be worried about what others think of your hat. I have been wearing a large brim hat for 20 years and consider it walking shade. If people aren't used to my hat by now, they will just have to stare.

A friend of mine from Hunt County, Texas says she still sees a lot of cowboy hats there. Here in Alabama the majority of the cattle folks wear a ball cap. Last sale I went to, there were two, maybe three men with a cowboy hat. Most had on caps. Also, a lot of overalls, especially by the older men.

Seen alot of different styles over the years and as many different ways to block a hat. Remember awhile back (70s I think) when all the young boys wore thoes polka-dotted jockey style hats with wolven belts that hung a foot down past the belt, couldn't buy into that either.
I wear a broad brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face, a ball cap when the urge moves me or when a friend gives me one with a logo on it for whatever reason and a wool "Elmer Fudd" style hat with ear flaps in the winter...hats have a purpose and it sure isn't fashon for me.
Still take my hat off when my boots hit the first step on the porch and usually leave it in the truck when I go into a store or resturant....you just don't see hat racks anymore. Just the way that I was raised.
Will be interesting to hear how the kids feel about their hats these days.
Dave Mc

I wear caps and cowboy hats, but mostly cowboy hats. I could care less what people think of me. I'll keep wearing them. Let them say something to me about it and I'll set themstraight pretty quick.

I never saw the Brokeback Mountain movie and dont intend to, but correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't they raising sheep? If so doesn't that make them "sheep boys", not "cow boys"? In which case Cowboys have an unearned stigma. Mabey a class action law suit aginst the film maker is in order. ( for people with no sense of humor thats a joke.) :lol:

kjones":1rc06s3q said:
I never saw the Brokeback Mountain movie and dont intend to, but correct me if I'm wrong. Weren't they raising sheep? If so doesn't that make them "sheep boys", not "cow boys"? In which case Cowboys have an unearned stigma. Mabey a class action law suit aginst the film maker is in order. ( for people with no sense of humor thats a joke.) :lol:

I don't know. Don't plan on seeing movie. Good point though. Maybe make em change the name of the movie to RumpRangerMountain. :lol: