Sterility in identical twin calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

(User Above)":2roxgbp1 said:
: A senior friend of mine who hobby farms,knowing I have acess to the WWW, asked me to try to get an answer to the folllowing question- In his experience when a cow has identical twin calves one will be fertile and one sterile. Is this always true? and if so Why? if anyone can answer this please email me. Thanks for your assistance!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2rclh8kr said:
: : A senior friend of mine who hobby farms,knowing I have acess to the WWW, asked me to try to get an answer to the folllowing question- In his experience when a cow has identical twin calves one will be fertile and one sterile. Is this always true? and if so Why? if anyone can answer this please email me. Thanks for your assistance!<p>Identical twin calves will both be the same sex and should both be fertile. If the twins are a bull and a heifer there is about a 92% chance that the heifer will be steril. That heifer can be palpated by the vet at around a year of age to see if her reproductive organs seem normal. If you see normal heat signs the heifer is most likely normal. <p>I'm told that the sterility is caused by a hormone produced by the bull calf prior to birth which permanently stunts the developmant of the female's reproductive organs.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":wnj3m1go said:
: : : A senior friend of mine who hobby farms,knowing I have acess to the WWW, asked me to try to get an answer to the folllowing question- In his experience when a cow has identical twin calves one will be fertile and one sterile. Is this always true? and if so Why? if anyone can answer this please email me. Thanks for your assistance!<p>: Identical twin calves will both be the same sex and should both be fertile. If the twins are a bull and a heifer there is about a 92% chance that the heifer will be steril. That heifer can be palpated by the vet at around a year of age to see if her reproductive organs seem normal. If you see normal heat signs the heifer is most likely normal. <p>: I'm told that the sterility is caused by a hormone produced by the bull calf prior to birth which permanently stunts the developmant of the female's reproductive organs.<p><br>Diana is right. But she not mention that there is no "identical" genes in cattle but they have fraternal genes. I am wondering if anyone knows the world record for set of twins in a consective years?? my grandfather had a cow that had FIVE sets of twins in five years in a row then she had a single calf and she was like 7 or 8 yrs old but acted like a 15 yr old cow so we sold her and my grandfather bought another cow that surprised us all with a set of twins last year and she bred again and showing signs of twins again!!!!! From the cow that had five set of twins and then she had a single well we kept her daughter and she produce a single calf this year but so far I don't see any sign of twins out of her but of corse it too early to tell she having a calf in May. By Feb or so I should know. Wow if she does we will have two cows and four calves!!!!!! My uncle's dad own a cattle ranch up in Oregon that have like 800 cattle total and been living there for 8 years and this year he had his first set of twins in the eight years he lived up there meanwhile my grandfather got only a dozen head on 20 acres and getting all these twins!!!!! My uncle's dad is extremely jealous!!! <br>
<br>

[email protected]

Mylum, do you know the breeding of the cow that had all the twins? The Meat Animal Research Center(MARC) had a project that produced bulls whose daughters were more likely to have twins. It would be interesting to know if that cow is sired by one of those bulls.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1i32u46b said:
: Mylum, do you know the breeding of the cow that had all the twins? The Meat Animal Research Center(MARC) had a project that produced bulls whose daughters were more likely to have twins. It would be interesting to know if that cow is sired by one of those bulls.<p>The one with the five set of twin she was a Charolais cross of something. But she was bought from a cattle ranch somewhere and when my grandpa bought her she had a single calf with it. But the bull my grandpa got was a calf that he didn't think would survive and he was a Chianina bull. We sold him b/c he was getting lame. But my grandpa spotted his daddy at the salebarn one day and said he was registered bull. This cow we bought last year with her first set of twin is a Hereford that my grandpa bought at the salebarn and she got a W brand which we know comes from the Wilson Ranch which is in the foothills by us but we never met the people. The cow with the five set of twins didn't have a brand as far as I remember I have to ask him.<p>thanks<p>
<br>

[email protected]

It is testosterone that causes it. sometimes a single heifer will be sterile..called a "Free Marten" and reason is usually because she was a twin but the male didn't make it and no one ever realized there were twins. We have a set of heifer twins..haven't bred yet..but will in December..hope they're fertile<br>: : : A senior friend of mine who hobby farms,knowing I have acess to the WWW, asked me to try to get an answer to the folllowing question- In his experience when a cow has identical twin calves one will be fertile and one sterile. Is this always true? and if so Why? if anyone can answer this please email me. Thanks for your assistance!<p>: Identical twin calves will both be the same sex and should both be fertile. If the twins are a bull and a heifer there is about a 92% chance that the heifer will be steril. That heifer can be palpated by the vet at around a year of age to see if her reproductive organs seem normal. If you see normal heat signs the heifer is most likely normal. <p>: I'm told that the sterility is caused by a hormone produced by the bull calf prior to birth which permanently stunts the developmant of the female's reproductive organs.<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.totalaccess.net/~calpat/">CalPat Longhorns</a></ul>

[email protected]

(User Above)":29ld73lw said:
: When a cow has identical twin ( same sex) I have never<br>heard of an instance where the calve are sterile.<br>However, when a cow has twins of oposite sex, the heifer is most<br>times found to be sterile and this is known as a<br>Freemartin heifer and a good vet will be able to pull<br>blood to check this out via a dna test, also by palpation<br>or ultrasound you will find that this heifer will have no repro<br>tract to speak off beyond the cervix.<p>Good luck, also heifers that were twins have a very high probability that<br>they will twin themseves, I know I have raised several, these females do not<br>respond well to flushing and can be difficult breeders.<p><br>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts