Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Beeglebatty

Reaction score
First let me say I am not very experienced with cattle. I have 4 pretty nice steers (550-600) My plans are to sell these steers when they get to around 1100 Lbs. It has been very dry here and since I only have about 15 acres of pasture I had to start feeding hay (grass) about 2 weeks ago. My question is this. Should I be giving them a little grain each day and if so how much. Thanks for the help.

Beeglebatty":skcrn237 said:
First let me say I am not very experienced with cattle. I have 4 pretty nice steers (550-600) My plans are to sell these steers when they get to around 1100 Lbs. It has been very dry here and since I only have about 15 acres of pasture I had to start feeding hay (grass) about 2 weeks ago. My question is this. Should I be giving them a little grain each day and if so how much. Thanks for the help.

A growing animal needs about 3% of it's weight in feed/food.

You do understand that there will be a point of diminishing returns in feeding an animal to that weight yourself?

The feedlots can feed one lots cheaper than you can due to the sheer volume of feed they buy.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, there is not going to be alot of profit in my first venture. especially the price I paid for the steers to begin with. But I guess you learn from experience. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts