Steers vs. Bulls vs. growth rate

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
All of the big bander companies promote late banding/cutting....at around 700lb or so, in order to capitalize on the testosterone for more growth. Is there really that much advantage to keeping them bulls longer or can you get just as good a growth from early castration, which could eliminate them burning lots of energy by them just wanting to be bulls?

It is pretty well proven that they will grow faster. The problem with banding that late is they will appear awfully bully. Around here the buyers shy away from them some because it is difficult to tell the difference between a late banded steer and an animal the same size that somebody only counted to one and thus left a nut in them earlier in life. The result is that a lower price will cost more than any growth advantage.

So what happens if you implant bull calves at say 3-4mths old and castrate at 6-7mths? Would you gain more due to the testerone and implant combined?

(Around here) When they start sniffing, butting heads too much and riding with intentions it is time to notarize them. Get their mind off of premarital endeavors, get them to eating, drinking and resting more.

I think castrating/banding young, implanting is the way to go. Your selling a steer, that will rival a bulls weight. You get the steer premium, at the bull calfs weight. I can't imagine not implanting. I usually implant mine twice actually.

Latest posts