Steers sold

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Sold 12 steers today. We though we got a pretty good sale on them.
I was worried because all I've been hearing is how fleshy calves are being discounted.
These were out of moderate framed bulls, and are mostly easy fleshing. They had been on grass and a little supplemental feed. Had these on less feed than usual because they came of the cows like butterballs.
Most were around 8 months old, one lighter one was 6 months.
60 days weaned, no prior creepfeed, vaccinated, no implants,
8D37756F-6183-44B7-918F-0D4D4559437D.jpeg

I was worried because all I've been hearing is how fleshy calves are being discounted.
These were out of moderate framed bulls, and are mostly easy fleshing. They had been on grass and a little supplemental feed. Had these on less feed than usual because they came of the cows like butterballs.
View attachment 21863
Why the discount on the 3rd one down?

Looks like they did pretty good tho!

I didn't get anything today. Steers in the upper 300's were $2.25. They did let me start a few but my limit is $2.00 so I didn't even get to come in second. Our prices were about 20 cents higher straight down your list. But that is easily freight and distance to the feed yards.

@Dave that 375 lb calf was the highest one that we saw sell.
I think if the current system was allowed to change and we got some regional packing companies and not just have to depend on the big 4, there would be some local feeders start up and wouldn't need to ship as many cattle, would help a lot.

Last edited:
@Dave that 375 lb calf was the highest one that we saw sell.
I think if the current system was allowed to change and we got some regional packing companies and not just have to depend on the big 4, there would be some local feeders start up and wouldn't need to ship as many cattle, would help a lot.
There is probably over 500,000 head capacity of feedlots within 200 miles or less from here. Two packing plants. One from a big 4 and one regional plant. Between them I am guessing they have well over 4,000 head a day capacity. Both the location and size sure does help our feeder calf market.

We are 11 hours from feedlot alley in Alberta. Watched (via the web) a pen of good red and white Simmental steers sell for $2,000 / head at the local mart this morning. Lots of liner loads sized pens of similar steers fetching $1,900 plus. Haven't seen a black calf sell yet today.

@Silver hard to imagine that scene here.
We can sit for hours at any stockyards around and probably under 20% not black that comes through the ring. Probably 15% of that 20% are Charolais cross. Might see a few Herefords, solid reds, or a couple longhorn or Brahman crosses.
Ain't seen an old time red and white Simmental in years. Quite a few of the black and BWF calves are probably percentage Simmental.

View attachment 21863
I've got questions... You said the light weight one was six months and 375 pounds, and sixty days weaned.

Why did you wean at four months? Do you think the calf would have been heavier weaned at sale time/six months? Would you have made more money taking it to the sale directly from the cow?

I've got questions... You said the light weight one was six months and 375 pounds, and sixty days weaned.

Why did you wean at four months? Do you think the calf would have been heavier weaned at sale time/six months? Would you have made more money taking it to the sale directly from the cow?
I got calves mixed up, that one was right at 7 months.
We generally will wait till around 6 months to wean, but if there are just an an odd one or two sometimes we go ahead and wean, so we can get it over with at one time. Especially if it's a heifers calf or a cow that's not milking real well etc.
In this case, it was a calf from a young heifer, and she was getting pulled down, so went on and weaned it.
I think we did about as well selling it that way, the only way I see it having done better would been to keep it and sell as a much bigger calf.

Latest posts