Steers Limp

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just bought some steers and turned out on grass the same way I have for some years now (fescue) with no problems but this year after having them turned out for 2 weeks with no problems I have 4 come up limping and I have noticed the rest of them when just standing will lift there feet up alot like they are burning or hurting them in some way...I gave the 4 some LA 200 today just wondered if you have any ideas...thanks..kent

[email protected]

I guess I'd have gone the LA200 route as well.Always a good first try.If your area has been very damp it could be hoof rot.I live in the southeast where we had a very wet Feb. and March also alot more BRD than usual. Also I am seeing more and more swelling in the joints in stock calves.Check their joints.I had a calf a while back that had swelled joints in his back legs and after using three or four antibiotics realized it wasn't going to work I sold him.Viki the vet suggested mycoplasm.I talked with an order buyer about this and he said he had been seeing alot of this and he hadn't found anything to treat it with.Good luck maybe Viki has some ideas she usually hits the nail on the head it,s pretty amazing!

[email protected]

Are you familiar with the possible effects of fescue on the circulatory system? I understand the resistance to fescue problems can vary with the cow, and with the season/stage of growth of the fescue.

Fescue constricts the blood vessels in the cow's body. This effect can actually cut off circulation to the extremities. Inflammation of the feet is not unusual, nor is gangrene. This problem actually has the name, "fescue foot."

If you can pull them off the fescue for a couple of weeks, you can probably tell if the feed is the problem. There may be ways you can feed to decrease the effect, or you may have a batch of steers that will always have problems with fescue.

There is a lot of information on the web. Try a google search for fescue foot and see what comes up.

> I just bought some steers and
> turned out on grass the same way I
> have for some years now (fescue)
> with no problems but this year
> after having them turned out for 2
> weeks with no problems I have 4
> come up limping and I have noticed
> the rest of them when just
> standing will lift there feet up
> alot like they are burning or
> hurting them in some way...I gave
> the 4 some LA 200 today just
> wondered if you have any
> ideas...thanks..kent

Fescue Foot is actually a response to prolonged exposure to endophyte infected tall pastures. If the pasture was 8 or so inches tall there is a possibility that when the cattle walked in the tall blades of grass that the area between the two hooves was cut and then got infected. I have seen this several times on predominantly fescue pasture. If the LA200 doesnt work try pouring pure bleach in the area between the hooves. This method has worked for me time and time again.....Let me know how it turns out...

[email protected]

Latest posts