Steer's ankles are popping

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
At a show yesterday i was denied reserve champion because the judge mentioned that as my steer roles off his back wheels his ankles pop. Meaning that he steps off fine but when he goes to put his foot down he touches his toes down and then he puts the rest of his foot down, then his leg moves backwards and his foot stays planted.

Does anyone have any ezperience with this or know how to solve this?

Try selectively breeding for structural soundness. Seriously thought I understand you wanting to cover it up, but sometimes I wonder how much damage is being done by fixing problems with other methods than the trip sale barn.

I have always been taught that structural soundness is steers classes is at the bottom of the priority list, so I'd bet your steer lacked other things to be reserve than just the joint problem. Look in on the sullivan site, I've heard people say they've used their joint supplements with some success.

CPL":3cc5kcvb said:
I have always been taught that structural soundness in steers classes is at the bottom of the priority list, so I'd bet your steer lacked other things to be reserve than just the joint problem.
He did from the Grand Champ but not the reserve. The judge said he had too much muscle.

Avalon":31a3bs07 said:
My son tells me that this is a mineral deficiency. I believe he said selinium.

It can be. or it can be genetic. either way you son is correct regarding selenium, will help with joints.

TNMasterBeefProducer":94aipkdi said:
Give him a shot of bose and get better genetics. Should be good to go at that point.

TNM one thing I notice about your posts. You seem to nearly always advise these juniors to get rid of what they've got and get something else when they have a calf with a problem. Thats not so easy. In most states Juniors are required to "tag in" and nose print during the summer in order to show the steer during the next school year. So If the exhibitor purchased and tagged in one steer project for the year, then he or she is going to the dance with that one or none at all. It is obvoius to me in reading the boards that they are not only learning what to look for in their next project. But they are also attempting learning what to do with the particular animal for the current year project. As I stated earlier this is not even a genetic flaw.... It is a mineral deficency.

Its been a long time since I've been on here, been busy, busy, busy, but I was checking out some posts and I was interested in this one. We've been showing steers for 4 years now and we've had one steer that popped in his hock, which he was post legged, as most steers are, but he did'nt do it until he was big. We added msm and glucosamine,(both a powdered mix) to the feed twice a day, with exercise this steer did real well and stayed sound until we butchered him, I'm not sure what he weighed after we were through showing him we had to feed him for 45 days, but he "hung 930 lbs" so he got fairly big. Ever since we have added this mix to our steers feed and haven't had any issues but my son also exercises them daily. An msm/glucosamine is naturally found in their systems anyway so it isn't a problem with drug testing.