Steers and Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
I am considering buying a few bred cows/heifers and putting them out with the three steers I bought in September. The steers avg 475# when I bought them. Questiosn is, Is it ok to mix em up especilly when calves start dropping in early spring. Any thoughts or suggestions....Just so ya know, the steers are my first so I am not very experienced

I don't have any problems with my steers, and calves -- in fact, I have noticed my steers enjoy playing with the calves with either a game of tag, or "king of the haypile".

BUT, you really have to watch to see how they will react after the calf is up and around. Some steers have a great sense of humor and don't mind the little ones, others might have a attitude. If that happens, just separate the steers from the calves.

bizybeehill":2j9qo6s6 said:
I am considering buying a few bred cows/heifers and putting them out with the three steers I bought in September. The steers avg 475# when I bought them. Questiosn is, Is it ok to mix em up especilly when calves start dropping in early spring. Any thoughts or suggestions....Just so ya know, the steers are my first so I am not very experienced

If you are talking about pasture, should be no problems. I would watch carefully at calving time, as a curious steer with a first time heifer calving can cause problems. I would also be a little concerned should you have to supplement feed in the winter as it is unlikely that a steer can compete with a grown cow for feed depending on what you supplement with and how.

We have no problems, like msscamp said, watch them at claving
and when working the new ones...some steers can be protective of the herd especially if one starts bawlling, usually just curious but I've been strongly "checked out" by steers and other mamas. DMc