steer

Help Support CattleToday:

maureenlws

Reaction score
I have a weinling steer who was healthy this morning when I fed, when I went back this afternoon he was standing frothing from the mouth and
appeared to be chewing. At first I thought pneumonia, so he was doctored for that. We then tried to check his throat to make sure there were no
obstructions, also around his tongue and teeth, he will turn his head to look back and just stands. At a loss, any ideas? Mo

Chewing? Like chewing his cud?

Sometimes they froth if they are bloated. Is he blown up like a baloon? What are you feeding him and how much?

Can you describe some more symptoms?

It is a lot more pronounced than just chewing his kud, he gets hay each day and he is not bloated, the thing that bothers me is the way he has his
head turned, almost resting on his shoulder, when I left he was still standing, which was a plus, there really are not any more symptons than what I
have talked about, the constant hard chewing and the position of his head, have never seen that before/
Thanks, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. MO

sounds like something hung in his throat maybe turns head to relief pain or pressure. does he act disoriented or confused, i have seen calves get hay straws hung in thier throat and act that way.

Thanks to all that replied, unfortunately when we went up early this morning to check on him and feed the others, he was dead.
The baffling part is that he went from being just fine yesterday morning to having a problem mid to late afternoon and dead sometime
during the night. My husband said that he could cut him open to see if we could see a problem, was not too thrilled on that. See enough
when we are foaling!
We do think though that he might have had something caught in his mouth, but, could not feel or see anything. Really did not expect to find him
dead, have to love ranching!!
Thanks though for the feed back it helps. Mo