steer

Help Support CattleToday:

I getting around to run %100 Limousin. culling out my %100 Santa Gertrudis. Have 50% limo 50% Gert bull calfs. Wondering to steer or not?

dice":3c9qgezz said:
I getting around to run %100 Limousin. culling out my %100 Santa Gertrudis. Have 50% limo 50% Gert bull calfs. Wondering to steer or not?

steer.

if you are going to market them, make them steers and you get more money. also i would rather deal with steer calves verses bull calves. i know people who say it doesn't matter, but it does 5 cents a pound is a big difference. 8)

dice":3h44tssv said:
preferebly to have them as steers, but in my personal opinion maybe I will keep the outstanding ones as bulls maybe one or two, the cross is a well balance RED composite (1/2 Limo-5/16 Shorthorn-3/16 Brahman) to use with commercial herds that are influence with any dual purpose or milk breeds.

Craig-TX":1uhj5n4r said:
Just a friendly FYI: "steer" is a noun, not a verb.

Craig-TX

Just a friendly FYI: "steer" is also a verb.....just not in the context it's being used here.

Maybe I'm different, but it takes more than catching my eye to use a bull. Knowing the genetic history for traits you need in a bull (or using EPD's) will go a lot further than one that looks good.

Yeah if they are your calves then you should know their ancestory??? :p
Ellie May

That way if you do see one that you think might be a good bull & it comes from the right parents and has the right traits you will know.

Ellie May":o2jqqqyr said:
Ellie May

That way if you do see one that you think might be a good bull & it comes from the right parents and has the right traits you will know.
Ellie Mae
The EPD's takes into account several generations of ancestry. There are mathematical calculations to calculate the EPD's for several generations which should give you an idea of what to expect for differences in birth wt., weaning wt., yearling wt., milk production, scrotal size, back fat, rib eye measurement,% retail product, marbling, etc. in comparison to using another bull on the same cow. EPD means expected progeny difference.
Go to http://angus.org or http://hereford.org and look up and study the EPD info. given there. I think that will give you a better understanding of what we are talking about. Several on this site can help answer most questions that you may have. This should be better than eyeballing an animal.

txag":14zv0noj said:
Craig-TX":14zv0noj said:

Craig-TX

Just a friendly FYI: "steer" is also a verb.....just not in the context it's being used here.

True, true. You steer your pickup. You castrate your bull calves.

Craig-TX

I always figured you steered them both. After all, you're pointing them in the right direction.

dun

Craig-TX":u04ez1f0 said:
txag":u04ez1f0 said:
Craig-TX":u04ez1f0 said:

Craig-TX

True, true. You steer your pickup. You castrate your bull calves.

Craig-TX

la4angus":2etm3ro0 said:
Ellie May":2etm3ro0 said:
Ellie May

Ellie Mae
The EPD's takes into account several generations of ancestry. There are mathematical calculations to calculate the EPD's for several generations which should give you an idea of what to expect for differences in birth wt., weaning wt., yearling wt., milk production, scrotal size, back fat, rib eye measurement,% retail product, marbling, etc. in comparison to using another bull on the same cow. EPD means expected progeny difference.
Go to http://angus.org or http://hereford.org and look up and study the EPD info. given there. I think that will give you a better understanding of what we are talking about. Several on this site can help answer most questions that you may have. This should be better than eyeballing an animal.
maybe Ellie use the wrong term (eyeballing). I will just pick the outstanding ones, you own the parents so as the owner you should know the performance of your cattle, even that it's not easy to judge a 3-way crossbred composite, but we already admit several of them as registered breeds.

Latest posts