steer with udder

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
I know this will sound silly, but do steers have udders? We have a yeayrling calf that we found in with our cows. It must have come through the fence somewhere from the neighbors pasture. It did not have a nut sac and looked like ...well a steer. But then I saw an udder and figured it was a heifer and just had a leftovers something of its umbilical cord. Then looked again and not see a cooder on it but i really cant get close to it, it is spooky and have not seen it pee. Need to get it loaded and back to where it belongs but puzzled me.

Not to be graphic or gross but you know how males have the tuft of hair on their belly and females that old do not. This one does that is why I figured it was a steer. Since I don't feed out my male calves I sell them after their are weaned I just don't have male cattle around except for the bull and I know he is a bull.

we had a Hand that worked for us for over 35 yrs and any time we had a calf or colt born we would send him out to see what it was. he would hold up 1 finger and say a one hole or 2 fingers and say 2 holes. he never refered to their gender in all those yrs.

Steers have udders, same as human males do. The teats are more visible if the sac is gone.
If it's a steer and has a swollen udder though, he's got a problem - they can get mastitis. Or maybe it's those dratted hormones in the water...

Saw one like that at the sale barn. A steer / stag that had been banded but evidently the testicles popped up above the band. They were still there but up in the abdobmen and it had the appearance of a small udder.

Latest posts