Steer with penis hanging out

Help Support CattleToday:

MidnightsFarm

Reaction score
We got some steers that had been surgically castrated at 9 months. They were pretty stressed when we got them from weaning, castration and being in a new place all at once. Several of them let their penises hang out intermittently. I have only had steers that were banded before and have never seen steers do this. Is this a problem? It has been 6 weeks since they were castrated and some are still doing it. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Depends on how far it's hanging out. If it's only an inch or 2 it could be what is called lazy prepuce in bulls (never seen it steers)

Yeh a photo would be good, you need to differentiate between the prepuce and the penis. If it was the penis then it would be unusual unless there was a big knob of warts on the end of it.

Ken

I'm with Ken... it's probably prepuce, and not penis.

Polled calves, I'm presuming? The polled gene also carries with it the propensity for hypoplasia or total absence of the retractor prepuce muscles...which is why so many polled bulls seem to 'let it all hang out' when they're relaxed... and are predisposed to traumatic preputial injury.

Can't say that I've ever noticed it in steers... but we usually castrate at a young age, so I've got no real experience with post-weaning castrates... I suspect that they'll be fine, so long as they're not dragging it across old rusty barbed wire or crowded to the point that another calf is gonna step on it.

wbvs58":37b5z5cb said:
Yeh a photo would be good, you need to differentiate between the prepuce and the penis. If it was the penis then it would be unusual unless there was a big knob of warts on the end of it.

Ken
Is age a factor? I have an "unusual" 2.5 year old bull, seems like he never holsters his gun. Purebred Angus, not polled, no warts (yes, I looked closely, had that a long time ago with another bull). But he also bellows all the time for no apparent reason so I figured he was just showing off, even though all the girls are bred, or this is his way of challenging the other bulls because he's definitely the most docile of all the bulls.

TCRanch":y6nntmlr said:
wbvs58":y6nntmlr said:

Ken
Is age a factor? I have an "unusual" 2.5 year old bull, seems like he never holsters his gun. Purebred Angus, not polled, no warts (yes, I looked closely, had that a long time ago with another bull). But he also bellows all the time for no apparent reason so I figured he was just showing off, even though all the girls are bred, or this is his way of challenging the other bulls because he's definitely the most docile of all the bulls.
A not polled purebred angus is not possible.

dun":2ah5vuys said:
TCRanch":2ah5vuys said:
wbvs58":2ah5vuys said:

Ken
I didn't phrase that well. Was pointing out not polled because there is evidently a link between polled bulls & prepuse. He is a purebred, registered Angus - should have left it at that. But thank you for clarifying!

dun":1qbb1mcb said:
TCRanch":1qbb1mcb said:
wbvs58":1qbb1mcb said:

Ken

Thought the same thing. A "purebred" Angus, is polled.

Workinonit Farm":12rfytmy said:
dun":12rfytmy said:
TCRanch":12rfytmy said:

Supposed to be. There are some Angus that have scurs.

I know! See previous response to Dun. Just wanted to make a point the bull wasn't polled. Didn't think everyone would focus on my grammar error (Note to self: use commas judiciously and don't assume the reader knows what you mean).

So any other ideas why the OP's steer & my bull have their junk on display?

TCRanch":a7nyfq7q said:
I know! See previous response to Dun. Just wanted to make a point the bull wasn't polled. Didn't think everyone would focus on my grammar error (Note to self: use commas judiciously and don't assume the reader knows what you mean).

So any other ideas why the OP's steer & my bull have their junk on display?
I'm still not following is your Angus bull horned? And to op question I cut some bigger sexually mature 9-12 month bulls few years ago and yes they let the unit out for a long time. It will go away if not what previous ones stated.

Ebenezer":dkuwhef3 said:
Workinonit Farm":dkuwhef3 said:
dun":dkuwhef3 said:

Supposed to be. There are some Angus that have scurs.
But since polled/horned and scur genes are different that's not important.

Latest posts