Steer walking on knees

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My friend has a beef steer(grown)that walks on his knees. He has not been able to fully get up in two days. He gets his back legs up and then his front legs only to his knees. The vet has been out and taken blood samples and is not sure what it is. He has been given dexamethazone, Banamine, and phospherous, etc.

He eats well, and is bright eyed...

Does anyone know what this is?



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Sounds like a septic arthritis--which isn't good. Mycoplasma is the most likely cause...

Good Luck V
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Sounds like a septic
> arthritis--which isn't good.
> Mycoplasma is the most likely
> cause...

> Good Luck V

What is Mycoplasma? and why would a otherwise healthy steer get this? Any treatment advice? This is a closed herd of ten and there are no outside cows being brought in.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Vicki,

Thanks so much for relpying.. how do they test for the septic arthritis? And what would be the best treatment?

Thanks so Much!!!

kat

> What is Mycoplasma? and why would
> a otherwise healthy steer get
> this? Any treatment advice? This
> is a closed herd of ten and there
> are no outside cows being brought
> in.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Vicki,

Sorry to keep posting , but wanted to give you some more info. The steer is not running a tempertaure and his legs are not swollen.

kat

> Vicki,

> Thanks so much for relpying.. how
> do they test for the septic
> arthritis? And what would be the
> best treatment?

> Thanks so Much!!!

> kat



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I have dealt a little with this I have tried micotil la200 and just about everything you can think of.With no sucess.My calf was swelled at his back leg joints.I have been told if you inject micotil directly into the joint it works but I didn't try it I sold my calf.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I have dealt a little with this I
> have tried micotil la200 and just
> about everything you can think
> of.With no sucess.My calf was
> swelled at his back leg joints.I
> have been told if you inject
> micotil directly into the joint it
> works but I didn't try it I sold
> my calf.

Vicki the Vet,

One more thing to clarify, this steer is 9 years old. I thought septic arthritis was just in baby calves or am I wrong?

kat



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Septic arthritis caused by mycoplasma can occur at any age. It will cause the animal to avoid placing full weight on the leg, and can cripple. Do a google search for mycoplasma arthritis bovine and see what you can find out. It could be a simple arthritis, but they wouldn't stand on their knees.... V
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Septic arthritis caused by
> mycoplasma can occur at any age.
> It will cause the animal to avoid
> placing full weight on the leg,
> and can cripple. Do a google
> search for mycoplasma arthritis
> bovine and see what you can find
> out. It could be a simple
> arthritis, but they wouldn't stand
> on their knees.... V

Vicki,

Thanks for the information, is there any effective treatment for this?

Thanks so much!



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top