steer w/ swollen brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

woodrow

Reaction score
I have a 760 lb. steer calf w/ swelling in his brisket,where the 2 folds in the skin begin. the top portion is the size of a good fist and bottom fold is a little smaller. it is not real hard or squishy,warm to the touch and very sensitive to him. Good temp, eating good, no punctures or drainage,he is stalled alone.Nothing in the stall to have injured him. Hope someone has an opinion. thank you

I had a large brangus cow last winter that developed a swollen brisket. Asked my vet about her. He said if she was other wise feeling good it was most likely staying bruised and irritated by eating hay from hay rings and contact on the bars.

Other wise it could be congestive heart failure with the associated fluid build-up.

In either case it is hard for the fluid to disperse and that is the lowest place for it to accumulate. My cow after a long period of time was back to normal.

He is not overly fat,just in good shape,clean fronted. I have had a cow with a bruised brisket from being kicked yrs. ago still has a lump in brisket. I am just concerned this developed over a few dys. with nothing to be injured on in the stall. Thank You

Had a cow that had hardware swollen brisket then she quit eating. Not saying every time a critter gets a swollen brisket it is hardware.