steer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

limi chick fitter

Reaction score
this year is my one and only year to show steers.

i wanted to run for tcca points for steers, but i have one steer that i thought could go aob but since i clipped him and what not.. ok he doesnt have any ear or any navel at all to him but his neck is kinda.. american lookin-ish. not a whole lot of neck but some to notice.. and now im new to the neck sweats and crap like that (i've shown heifers for 4 years now) but will a neck sweat help that neck to look not so americanish? i couldnt tell you what breed he is b/c i got him at a sale barn.

also, he's about 500ish pounds right now and i think he could use some height on him. i read somewhere that oats add some growth to em? something like that.. i dont know.

as far as the dewlap.. yes, a sweat collar will help get rid of that extra skin. the calf will still go AOB unless he looks enough like a certain breed that you could run him that way and pass. since you've said he has no ear or naval, he probably will not pass as american (then again.. after seeing some of what passed as american crosses at fort worth and our county show, it might not hurt to give it a try) but even if he was, you still want to clean that neck a little if it looks too untidy.

cowboy13":q312oszk said:
By sale barn, do you mean a local sale? If so, don't waste your time trying to run points with him. Especially with one calf, you're already behind.

Your not that far behind. All shows except one from this past weekend are reporting and #10 AOB steer only has 160 points, that and the fact that this is only the beginning of June, alot of time and alot of shows left to go before the end of the point year.

new to the sweat collar things.. but um.. how long do i leave it on for? so if he has no navel or no ear to him.. but a little neck it'll most likely be aob right?

btw cowboy.. i guess you have no mind like me.. but i went to a sale barn for a couple hours (how i spend my weekends lol im kidding) and i got to analyse all the bull calves there. you wouldn't believe what i got. just b/c i didn't get him from a breeder and what not doesn't mean he isnt good enough to show for points. and i don't just have 1 calf. and i've seen many people show one calf of a particular breed and get in top ten b/c they show every weekend (yes it can happen).. you know.. i just wanted to run for points.. and i totally don't think i'll be in top ten but its worth a shot.

um.. thanks cowboy?? gosh ur um.. nice.. do you always talk to people like that? how rude.. i only wanted advice on my steers neck.. not a discussion on where i got my steer, how much i was going to haul him and shows, ect. ect.

btw.. i never said i was going to haul every weekend :0) just wanted to run for points. and its also not my first time doing points ok?

cowboy13":t60k5rcu said:
I didn't say you were going to haul every weekend, but, when you do, you wear a calf out and they usally don't do good at majors. Show him off, let us see him. :D
Cowboy that's not necessarily true. I don't know if you just heard that from someone else or not but I know a girl who hauled a single heifer for a couple of years to shows every weekend and nearly always placed 1st and then went back and took Grand or Reserve. She made it into the top 10 last year. You can't generalize like that.

You also shouldn't make such remarks without having seen a picture of Limi's calf. That head shot is nothing to judge from. Let us have a good picture of him and then you can share your opinion of how she might do running points.

Limi to you, I say do not be discouraged. Try your hardest. Even if you don't make it.. at least you tried. Good luck! And I'm always happy to give good, helpful advice...as are many others on this board.

Jay

excuse you mr. "steer boy" but just because you THINK you know everything.. doesnt mean you do ok? don't be trash talking everybodys calves on this board.. so i guess you supposably know everything.. doubt it.

judging by your steers pics.. i think they are the trashiest things i've ever seen.. that shorthorn pic i've seen on this board is about the crappiest i've seen. so those "easy" jackpots you were telling me about.. i bet no shorthorns but 3 were there huh? :0)

and you haven't seen a my steer in person.. he's got about i'd say about 2 inches of hair on him BODY right now.. i had just clipped his neck like 5 days before that to see what his neck looked like.. cuz it did look like excess skin on there.

thats why i asked.. was there only 3 shorthorns there?

well i don't care to know a calfs background.. i really don't.. but i guess you have alot of things against my calf since you won't quit knocking on him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one beefy!! That ought to give them something to think about!! :D :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: