Steer picture

Help Support CattleToday:

SF":86chel46 said:
Double A Ranch":86chel46 said:
I'd feed him to the upper limits of choice or maybe into prime. Then I think he will eat well. This is how I like em. To each their own.

SF, do you think a 3/4 longhorn will ever reach prime? How do you know when they've reached the upper limits of choice or prime?

I don't know Double A. Never fed out a Longhorn. I said that is how I'd do it, or how I'd try to do it. I think most cattle including Longhorns are going to get fat if you feed them enough grain. He may never get to prime, but I'll bet you can get him to choice.

I just may buy one during the next year or so, so I can find out.[/quote]

SF, I know absolutely nothing about longhorns but how would you know he would even grade USDA choice, or even select for that matter? Feed does not always make marbling. I will concede that he will put on backfat over time, but not necessarily "intramuscular" marbling. Am I missing something here?
I will add another of my preferences if you don't mind.
I prefer "Select" - Dry aged beef over prime or choice meat. "Tenderness" is the key element to me.

When we have him butchered we'll let him hang for two weeks-that's how we had the last one done and it sure was tasty. If you ever get one remember to cook the meat slow and it shouldn't be cooked more than medium-it does tend to get tough because of the lack of fat. I love a good beef roast and the way these seem to do best is to put in a slow cooker and let it go for awhile. It'll fall apart.

Rustler9":1xt1x2zw said:
If you ever get one remember to cook the meat slow...

I was always told opposite for Longhorn meat. Cook fast and on high heat, b/c of the lack of fat.

Ryan

Actually one of the factors in tenderness is the Degree of Doneness. THe longer it is cooked then the less tender it will be. That is why higher temperatures are recommended for Longhorn meat.

Ryan

MikeC":3zdvidoq said:
SF":3zdvidoq said:
Double A Ranch":3zdvidoq said:
I'd feed him to the upper limits of choice or maybe into prime. Then I think he will eat well. This is how I like em. To each their own.

SF, do you think a 3/4 longhorn will ever reach prime? How do you know when they've reached the upper limits of choice or prime?

I don't know Double A. Never fed out a Longhorn. I said that is how I'd do it, or how I'd try to do it. I think most cattle including Longhorns are going to get fat if you feed them enough grain. He may never get to prime, but I'll bet you can get him to choice.

I just may buy one during the next year or so, so I can find out.

SF, I know absolutely nothing about longhorns but how would you know he would even grade USDA choice, or even select for that matter? Feed does not always make marbling. I will concede that he will put on backfat over time, but not necessarily "intramuscular" marbling. Am I missing something here?
I will add another of my preferences if you don't mind.
I prefer "Select" - Dry aged beef over prime or choice meat. "Tenderness" is the key element to me.[/quote]

I think I already said "I don't know". What I do know, is that without the feed, he has no chance. You are correct, feed does not always make marbling. Lack of feed will ensure you don't have enough. I just said how I would feed him. You like select, I like prime. That's why they have vanilla and chocolate. Different tastes for different folks. I've never had prime beef that wasn't tender. Once again, maybe I'm just lucky.