Steer overloaded on corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I have two steers at my in-laws getting fat. Well, I was up there for the first time in a while, and one of the steers is significantly farther along than the other. I set up separate feed bunks to Make sure they are both getting their share. They are about 850-900 pounds. They had both been getting 30 pounds of corn sbm mix. Anyway, after the first night of feeding separately the small one stopped eating. Hasn't eaten grain in 24 hours. They said it acts fine, I haven't gotten an answer as to whether it's been eating grass like normal or if that has stopped. Is this acidosis or just upset stomach? Is there anything to be done? Also, when he starts eating again, do I start at 10 pounds and go up a pound every couple days?

I think the larger steer was just eating a huge portion of the grain, and when separated, the small one got overloaded.

He has acidosis, which may be more or less severe. If he's not eating at all, you need to talk to a vet.

sounds like he is acting ok, and eating grass. But no grain yet. How slowly do I work him back on to grain?

I usually recommend giving grain overloaded cattle a week or two off of grain completely to allow the rumen some time to heal, then reintroducing grain like you would to a green steer. You might be able to be more aggressive, seeing as he's not really that sick, but if he were mine I'd err on the side of caution.

If you have him confined it wouldn't hurt to give him a "big" dose of Probios then put him on hay for about a week, slowly reintroducing the grain mix. Would help too if you put about 10-15% cottonseed hulls into the grain mix to force feed some roughage once he is back on feed.

Yes, strongly suggest the Probios. Just had one we had to administer this to. Gave her plenty of hay and waited a few days until she was back up and grazing around until we gave her more grain. Gradually giving her grain in the morning and then afternoon.