steer or bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had my first Angus calf born 3 days ago. His ma and pa are both registered Angus. Do I register him, and leave him a bull and sell when he is older? just steer him and sell for feeder later? What would you all do?

To the question "What would you all do?" I can't speak for all, but I think it would be safe to say that almost all would say to wait. No big rush to make the decision now. If you have to decide now for some reason, then DON'T cut him. That way you can always change your mind later. The other way it's too late.

How good is he. Does he have good bloodlines. Is he good enough to improve the quality of the cows calves that he would be bred to. How is the epd's of his sire and dam.
The first three questions you have to answer when he is a few months older. The last question you can decide right now. Remember that no certain EPD's are all right for everyone.

I know the EPDs of his sire and dam. Do I add then together and divide by 2? That is provably not right but how do you do it?

Anonymous":qrno4b73 said:
I know the EPDs of his sire and dam. Do I add then together and divide by 2? That is provably not right but how do you do it?
That is how the number crunchers do it.
This will give you the interim EPD's.

Bulls are hard to keep and IMO, hard for a small operation to sell with good return. Look at the price of calves now. I would steer him.

Lee

Keep him a bull if he turns out bad you can always steer him later but it's hard for him to grow nuts back. If you keep him a bull you can always sell him to a neighbor or friend that is in need of a good bull. What are his parents id numbers? I'll look him up and tell you what I think of him pedigree.

Do you have the time & experience to raise, train, show and sell a bull for a profit? Have you thought about the club calf market?

sire
http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_det ... d=14099734
dam
http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_det ... d=13403720
Let me know what you think.

I forgot to login yesterday, o-well, am now. Have been looking into club calves some. There is only one other person around here that does that. Watched a program on RFDTV awhile back on halter breaking calves. I broke that little black one I had after that, worked out well to for the first time.
IMO He is a pretty well bred animal. Lots of good animals in his
background.
IMO his EPD's are very good.
Really depends what traits that that a person is looking to improve.
Keep in mind that not everyone is looking for the same EPD's.

He should be a pretty decent critter. Roughly average Epds but that doesn't hurt. I like the Blackbird and Bando lines and that will suit him well. I would definately keep him a bull until you see how he turns out.

Even if you don't register him, you can always sell him as a bull. There are alot of old cowmen that buy purebred bulls that aren't registered and turn them out with there commercial herd. They are always looking for Angus bull calves that they can use for a bull. Most of them have really good calves. You can not get as much but it another road to take. I would probably follow the people's advice above mine because they seem very familar with the bloodlines.

J+

I have never registered anything before but can someone explain it to me. I know I pay a fortune for those numbers and I would love to know how they come up them.

J+

J+":2jjupb95 said:
I have never registered anything before but can someone explain it to me. I know I pay a fortune for those numbers and I would love to know how they come up them.

J+

which numbers? epd's?

Yes Sir or Mam,
I was wondering how they come up with all of those epd numbers. Birthweight, milk, etc. I have always been curious about that!

J+

J+":3g0lxcx9 said:

J+
You might be supprised to know how some of the larger breeders come up with them.

ollie":b8lw5llz said:
J+":b8lw5llz said:

J+
You might be supprised to know how some of the larger breeders come up with them.

ollie, ollie, ollie........still not convinced that epd's are useful? thought maybe you had converted by now.

J+":27l22uf5 said:
Yes Sir or Mam,
I was wondering how they come up with all of those epd numbers. Birthweight, milk, etc. I have always been curious about that!

J+

try this link

http://www.hereford.org/Acrobat/Perf/ss_S04_Preface.pdf

scroll down to the second page & there's an explanation of epd's. i can't tell you the mathematical formula used to calculate them but basically they're a tool used to compare animals of the same breed. data is sent in from herds all over the usa. the calculation is supposed to take into account the geographical location as well as the management (creep, no creep). it also takes into account not only the performance of the animal in question but his relatives as well (sire, dam, brothers, sisters, and offspring). for example, say you have a bull with a bw epd of +5. you can expect his calves, on average, to weigh 5 pounds heavier at birth than a bull with a bw epd of 0 or 10 pounds heavier than a bull with a bw epd of -5. same also goes for weaning weight epd's & yearling weight epd's. the milk epd is a little different (it is not measuring pounds of milk but pounds of calf)...........say you have a bull with a +15 milk epd. you would expect his daughters' calves to weigh 15 pounds heavier at weaning than the daughters of a bull with a milk epd of 0 due to his daughters' milk production. hope this helps explain the numbers.

So is Zero the average of the Breed? And why do they have weaning weight epd and milk epd's if both measure the weight of the calf at weaning time?

J+

Latest posts