Steer or Bull? Is the taste different?

Help Support CattleToday:

If they;re a couple or 3 or more years old the bull will have a lot more flavor, 18 months or so I can;t tell the difference.

TNMasterBeefProducer":ib4ffnb7 said:
10-18 months of age they taste the same provided the bull has never bred a cow.

What has "Breeding a cow" got to do with it? What about a 19 month old bull that has bred one heifer?

Anxiously awaiting....................

TNMasterBeefProducer":27y6kbxq said:
MikeC":27y6kbxq said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":27y6kbxq said:
10-18 months of age they taste the same provided the bull has never bred a cow.

What has "Breeding a cow" got to do with it? What about a 19 month old bull that has bred one heifer?

Anxiously awaiting....................

testosterone makes the meat taste gamey or like shoe leather smart guy. You should know that.

So......a bull has automatically more testosterone at 19 months than he does at 18? :lol:

I ask again.........What does "Breeding a Cow" have to do with it? :help:

Mike...slaughter him immediately after he breeds a cow...testosterone level should be reduced considerably. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As soon as the bull matures he will be producing semen and testosterone, the act of breeding has nothing to do with meat flavor.

mnmtranching":1khn96nw said:
As soon as the bull matures he will be producing semen and testosterone, the act of breeding has nothing to do with meat flavor.
if he bred several id bet it would...he would lose some fat

I've posted this before but some of the best meat I've eaten in a long time came from a registered holstein bull weighing about 13-1400 lbs. working dairy cattle but also going thru the dairy barn with the cattle everyday and eating 30 lbs. per day of a good hot dairy ration. He was kiled when he stuck his nose to a metal building that had a short in the wiring. Bled him out, hauled him straight to the processor, had them hang him for 3 weeks then cut and package...the meat was wonderful.

A bull won't have as much fat as a steer and won't have the marbling a steer will have. That marbling adds to the flavor of the meat .

shorty":1aqssbax said:
A bull won't have as much fat as a steer and won't have the marbling a steer will have. That marbling adds to the flavor of the meat .

I like lean meat. A little marbling is ok but not excessive. Mainly I see it as something that makes smoke when it drips onto the grill. Right now we're eating Limo beef...very lean but has exceptional flavor.

not sure about the taste, but buyers at the sale barn seem to like the steers better. One steer didn't have is testys hanging down but he had the bull neck. he probably still had the seed in him. He got a lower price than all the other cattle in the ring with him.

Latest posts