Steer not a Steer but a bull???

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal

Reaction score
I bought a steer over the winter who was born last winter (somewhere between july and august). Soposedly he was banded as a calf. He has been ridding my cows that are in heat, and actually penetrating them with his penis. Has anyone seen a steer do this or do you think he might have a testicle retained?

I have seen steers successfully (both nuts gone) castrated at a later age (8+ months) that do the same. They got old enough for the frenulum that holds the penis in on young calves to go away, so they could extend and penetrate, but couldn't do anything else. However, since the steer was banded, I would be very suspicious of him as a lot of folks miss one nut or both if they don't really know what they're doing.

so i got a halter on him today and felt...a nut...so how young can a bull breed with one nut? and how bad is it if he bred his half sisters (they are out of the same bull as him).....

VtMapleGal":1g16qkbu said:
so i got a halter on him today and felt...a nut...so how young can a bull breed with one nut? and how bad is it if he bred his half sisters (they are out of the same bull as him).....
A monocrid may or may not be fertile. The body heat may cause the sperm to die or be unable to make the trip. That said, with most people luck (mine included) he can probably get everything he breeds to settle.

Latest posts