Steer just ate a bunch of wilted cherry leaves

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
So I opened a new pasture up about 2 hrs ago and then I drove around the border to make sure the fence wasn't down anywhere and I found a big wild cherry limb full of brown wilted leaves had fallen off a tree and a big steer (about 1400# I estimate) and a big old cow we're just going to town on these leaves really eating a lot of them. I got the limb out of there but they may have been eating for an hour at least, there's plenty of grass but they were loving those leaves. Is there anything I can do to avoid prussic acid poisoning? How long does it take to affect them and what should I watch for? I've got the steer scheduled for the butcher Monday Oct 2 in 9 days.

If the leaves were brown, as in dried out and old, I don't "think" there will be a big problem. I DO know that if the leaves are green, wilted and from a "fresh" within a day or 2 cut, it will be a very bad deal.

Workinonit Farm":ueblfwxi said:
If the leaves were brown, as in dried out and old, I don't "think" there will be a big problem. I DO know that if the leaves are green, wilted and from a "fresh" within a day or 2 cut, it will be a very bad deal.
Thank you Workinonit, that makes me feel better, the leaves were definitely brown and dried out, my place is covered in wild cherry trees so I'm sure the cows have eaten them before, I'd just never seen one enjoying them as much as this steer, he was really eating a lot of them.

ohiosteve":3itc23xo said:
Workinonit Farm":3itc23xo said:
Thank you Workinonit, that makes me feel better, the leaves were definitely brown and dried out, my place is covered in wild cherry trees so I'm sure the cows have eaten them before, I'd just never seen one enjoying them as much as this steer, he was really eating a lot of them.

I know mine have eaten many dried-up brown leaves, that have fallen off the tree (or 2) during the fall, with no problems. But, I have cut down several wild cherry trees, just to avoid any issues. The 2 areas where there is 1 or 2, I always check the trees before moving the cows to those fields, just to be sure a branch or limb hasn't recently been broken.

ohiosteve":2fy59t20 said:
Workinonit Farm":2fy59t20 said:

Steve, there are lots of wild cherry trees on this side of the River. Like, Workinonit, I have cut about half the ones here.

I had a branch fall in a pasture this summer and by the time I found it the cows had eaten every leaf they could reach. It was definitely in the danger period, and I was pretty worried, but everyone was fine. I've cut most of them, but can't get them all yet.

A tip just in case anyone cant move a cherry limb that has fallen. Fill a small sprayer with diesel and spray the leaves. The cows won't eat where the diesel is and it also makes the leaves turn brown really quick.

kenny thomas":1mb2nsjw said:
A tip just in case anyone cant move a cherry limb that has fallen. Fill a small sprayer with diesel and spray the leaves. The cows won't eat where the diesel is and it also makes the leaves turn brown really quick.

Great idea! :D

Workinonit Farm":4duulpxf said:
kenny thomas":4duulpxf said:

Yes, that is a great idea, that I am very glad to learn. We have a few wild cherry trees still, used to have a lot of them but several have fallen or been cut down by now. Always a concern for us though.

Ky hills":2ucky2i3 said:
Workinonit Farm":2ucky2i3 said:
kenny thomas":2ucky2i3 said:

Yes, that is a great idea, that I am very glad to learn. We have a few wild cherry trees still, used to have a lot of them but several have fallen or been cut down by now. Always a concern for us though.
Each winter I cut a few and treat the stumps with Garlon. I have a few paddocks that are free of any Cherry trees just in case I need to put them in a different field after a storm.

i think the first day or two is the real danger of prussic acid, this late in the year theres probly not alot left in the leaves anyway

We had a rented place where they were cutting back all the fence rows and there were a bunch of wild cherry. Luckily it is divided into 3 sections for rotational grazing. Called the vet as there were several big trees down with the leaves just starting to wilt....2-4 days down. Vet said that fresh, if they pull them off the tree, is no problem, 1-7 days minimum when they are cut and wilted according to weather and temps, once dried and brown no problem. So, our rule of thumb is MINIMUM of 2 weeks after cutting before anything goes in the field if the branches/limbs can't be moved. In this case, they were chipping all the brush/limbs etc, right into the truck and then taking them and dumping the chips for the owners to use in a big pile not near the pastures. But I worried since we were going to rotate into that field and found the cut limbs. So we fed a couple rolls of hay and kept the cattle out until all the chipping was done, and it was 2 weeks after the trees were cut too.

Earl and Yoda have eaten these before and have never had a problem. I would assume that her digestive system can break it down?

Latest posts