Steer judging Laclede County Fair

Help Support CattleToday:

Dun,

That is just what I was looking for. Trying to convince our county to do something like that. Right now our steer show is a beauty contest. No rate of gain, no carcass data, they are only judged on looks. The grand and reserve steer where so fat and over done they roached when they walked. The judge picked the grand because it was "more attractive". Glad to hear your county is judging steers based on what we are supposed to be raising them for. Not to see who can pay the most money for a club calf and then put it in an air-conditioned building so it can look pretty at show time. But that of course is just my opinion.

Jovid":y7vkvjt4 said:
Dun,

That is just what I was looking for. Trying to convince our county to do something like that. Right now our steer show is a beauty contest. No rate of gain, no carcass data, they are only judged on looks. The grand and reserve steer where so fat and over done they roached when they walked. The judge picked the grand because it was "more attractive". Glad to hear your county is judging steers based on what we are supposed to be raising them for. Not to see who can pay the most money for a club calf and then put it in an air-conditioned building so it can look pretty at show time. But that of course is just my opinion.

They've been trying for several years to get the beauty contest points reduced and the carcass data increased. No luck so far but they are still trying

The county next to us gives 20 points for beauty contest 40 for rate of gain and 40 for carcass and they actually send the steers to be processed and carcass data collected. They won't do that in my county because so many kids what to take their steers to the Oklahoma Youth Expo. That is why I am pushing for ultrasound.

Latest posts