STEER EMERGENCY!HELP!Anyone experienced with purina ch

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
My steer is a 17 month old black angus-shorthorn cross.he weighed 1000 lbs as of two weeks ago.he is eating 29 lbs of purina's fitters edge a day.when I asked the 4-H leader about switching him to finisher,he laughed and said that other clubs may do it that way,but thats not how we do it in our club.and I believed him.I nievely never took into account that my steer would be competing against his daughter's. Anyways,he also said 2 cut bck on hay,to prevent hay belly.well...this morning I was practising setting my steer up and noticed I can see his ribs.he looks emaciated.Like I starved him. So,I called upmy buddy who is in one of the clubs that switches to finisher.he said to mix up 1 scoop of finisher into his fitters edge and one scoop of rolled corn.so....I decided to split his dinner into two feedings so I could see if he took it okay. I mixed up 6 lbs fitters edge,1 1/2 lbs finishing touch,1 1/2 lbs rolled corn. A couple hours later, its pitch black and I go to check on him,and maybe I'm paranoid but it looked like his side was puffed out a little.not like a basketball,but just full an not gaunt like before.but its hard to tell with a flashlight and a steer that won't hold still.SO IF I DO GO OUT THERE IN THE MORNING QND HIS SIDE IS BLOATED WHAt do I do?! Its two days before fair! Help! Even my project leader doesn't want to help me! I'm desperate!

I'd say he should be on finisher, but at 17 months of age, 1000lbs is nowhere close to what he should weigh. 17 months ago was January/February of last year, and I've been selling freezer beef calves that age at 1280 to 1340 lbs since June.

I doubt adding a little Finisher and corn to his ration would cause him to bloat unless he's prone to it to start with.

I'm with jkwilson on everything he said . Changing a steers feed 2 days before the fair is not going to do anything but cause trouble .If he is bloated I use a product called Therabloat on him . If you are not comfortable with this call your vet .

Larry

ok..I just went out to feed him and he does not have the "basketball" shape in his sirloin are on the left side.still has somewhat of an indent.but overall,from the front it looks like his left side is bit bigger than his right. SO I'VE NEVER SEEN A cow with bloat--I've just been told to watch for it. WHAT TO LOOK FOR? Also, the two of you who replied... One said my grain mixture wouldn't hurt him,and the otther said it was a bad idea?which to believe?I've had him since march,and he's never bloated,so maybe he's not prone to it?also what about hay?how much timothy should I give him with this new grain concoction? PS-- he was born the end of march 07.for his frame I think had I ignored my leaders advice and made switch,he could easily be 1150

Having an animal project requires research and study on your own in addition to a leader's help. There is a lot of information available on the web. Google "How to feed a show steer" and you will find many resources.

Every day when you first see your animal, look at it as if you have never seen it before - namely evaluate it's condition. How is the animal finishing out?

The steer getting skinny did not happen overnight. How long ago did your leader tell you not to feed him hay and not to put him on finisher?

poultryrancher":wgiikccn said:
overall,from the front it looks like his left side is bit bigger than his right.

Let me start by saying that I'm not being a wise guy here.

When I look at most of my cows from the front, many of them appear larger on their left side, especially after a day of grazing. Is it possible that you may not have noticed this before?

If he were bloated, badly, he'd look very uncomfortable and in distress. He would be very "puffed" out and inflated looking.

As to switching feeds 2 days prior to fair, the switch in feed at this time will not add those extra pounds. A sudden change in diet (adding, subtracting) can cause digestive upsets and being that you are 2 days from fair time, I wouldn't chance it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Katherine

I agree with the others.. trying to change his ration two days before the show is a wasted effort, and you'll only end up with problems. I would leave him on whatever you've been feeding him consistently before the change, and I wouldn't stop feeding hay. If he's "skinny", there's nothing you're going to do in two days that will fix that.

It doesn't sound like he's bloated to me.. you would notice a substantial difference in his sides if he was bloated, and he wouldn't be eating, which would be another indication.

My cows look like they are bloated every day when coming back from the pasture. At times, they are "lopsided", with one side bigger than the other, and are so round that they can't hardly walk. (Good pastures this summer!) They lay back and chew the cud, then get back at it again in a few hours.

I thought my bull was going to explode one day he was so big... :nod:

Latest posts