Steer Choices

Help Support CattleToday:

By the pictures, #530 is the one I would choose. He has a better picture then the other two so in person he might not be the best one. To me he seems the heaviest muscled and he has enough hair. He also has a strong back and seems to have a deeper flank then the others.

I also like #203, its just harder to evaluate him in that picture. I can't see his muscling in that picture and he could be a bit fined boned. He also looks like he might cut up in his flank and by the angle of the picture, he doesn't look like he is as clean in the sheath. After he's clipped though, he might have a better underline.

#91 would be my third choice because he seems lighter muscled in the rump then the other two and has the highest flank (I know I keep talking about the flank, but to me that is what makes a steer either look really good or really bad). He won't be the fuzziest one either, but depended on where you're showing him, hair might not matter.

Hope this helps and I hope you get more opinions. Take mine for what its worth and remember that the pictures could be deceiving. Good luck!

I agree with osu shorty on the same order. I like that 530 calf the best out of any of them. He seems to have the best head start on becoming a show animal, as well as the most going for him structurally.

I agree with OSU, in that order and all. 530 would be my first pic, 203 my second, and 91 my third. Depending on whether you show is slick or haired, you might make a decision between 530 and 203. 203 has got a lot of hair to him which can make him look a little more fancy when he's all dolled up.

jaydill":ouxn0m2j said:
I agree with OSU, in that order and all. 530 would be my first pic, 203 my second, and 91 my third. Depending on whether you show is slick or haired, you might make a decision between 530 and 203. 203 has got a lot of hair to him which can make him look a little more fancy when he's all dolled up.
I agree with jaydill and others, except # 203 having more hair. His hair is thicker but if he is shown slick his extra muscle and better confirmation over all would be visible and make him look better, and if he is shown all dolled up his hair could make him look better.

I think 203 is a bit straight shouldered in his picture and not as fancy or as level as the 530 picture the middle one don't even try

503 is definetly my favorite. I would like to see a better picture of 91 but I think he has some potential. I love the hair on 203 but he has some decent muscle.

#530 is definatly my choice. He has an abundant amount of muscle. Get him and work on that hair and he'll sure be pretty.

#203 just lacks the muscle and bone that #530 has. He has a bunch of hair that could maybe hide his faults.

#91 is alright. I think he could use some more substance of bone.

But #530 is my top choice.

Yes, I did. I didn't end up with any of these. The prices were alot higher than last year, at least for the people in my chapter due to some unfriendly rivalries. I ended up getting calf #163. He was not on the website, but I think he looks pretty good. Were you at the auction?

Latest posts