Steer blocking a bull from breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
We have a yearling bull in with our cows at the moment. We also have a bigger older steer which we've retained for the home freezer. A relative commented that older steers can block young bulls from breeding. We haven't witnessed this but we're not there all the time. Is this a known thing? We'll find out in a few weeks I guess after i do biopryn preg testing.

Thoughts on this ?

Andrew

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't anticipated this being a problem but there's no end of rabbit holes to fall down breeding cattle.

Andrew

Andrew, it would be rare for it to happen. I do have some trouble with my bull calves though if the yearling bull I use is not dominant especially with young cows I will have a string of young bulls tailing her and mounting whenever she stops and she will get a bit peed off with it all and then walk off when the bull mounts. I often have to seperate them off.

Ken

wbvs58":1j8o6pb9 said:
Andrew, it would be rare for it to happen. I do have some trouble with my bull calves though if the yearling bull I use is not dominant especially with young cows I will have a string of young bulls tailing her and mounting whenever she stops and she will get a bit peed off with it all and then walk off when the bull mounts. I often have to seperate them off.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll have to keep an eye out for that as well. I've noticed the young bull calves trailing behind the yearling bull when he's trying to breed. Haven't witnessed him being slowed down by them yet.

Andrew

townfarmer":33ifculj said:
wbvs58":33ifculj said:

Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll have to keep an eye out for that as well. I've noticed the young bull calves trailing behind the yearling bull when he's trying to breed. Haven't witnessed him being slowed down by them yet.

Andrew
Those young bull calves get on the big ones nerves after a while and he just turns around and gives em a knock with his big ole head

Latest posts