Steep Rocky Hillside

Help Support CattleToday:

tsellars

Reaction score
Anyone had any luck getting any type of grass to grow on a steep rocky hillside? If so what was best planting method.

Steep being too steep to take a tractor up and down. Don't expect pasture but would like something to at least cover the rocks up.

I think we might be a little to far north for Bahia.
I'm around Heber Springs and I have a lot of Bahia mixed in my pastures. I didn't plant it, must've come from some hay I've fed before. You're around Melbourne right? That's a little farther north but not much. It does well with fescue, usually doesn't show up Until late May and holds up well during heat and drought.

I'm around Heber Springs and I have a lot of Bahia mixed in my pastures. I didn't plant it, must've come from some hay I've fed before. You're around Melbourne right? That's a little farther north but not much. It does well with fescue, usually doesn't show up Until late May and holds up well during heat and drought.
Little east of Melbourne, Ash Flat. May have to look into it.

Lespedeza, both annual and AU Grazer s. lespedeza. I'd try a few pounds of multiple species to "throw the kitchen sink at it" and see what sticks. Even some Matua or bromegrass in the mix. You won't know till you see it grow. Orchardgrass is better on a dry site than even KY31 fescue but this is the wrong time of year.

I should get in on this one since I have plenty of steep pastures with lots of rocks. I can walk down them but can not walk back up. I have tried to mow them over the years with mules, old Ford sickle bar mowers, and bush-hogs.
Here in Kentucky, and I suspect in Arkansas, there is a reservoir of fescue, jap clover, and other pasture plants just waiting to be released by mowing. If you do not mow the goldenrod and briars just take over and the cows ignore the hills for other pastures.
When I can afford it, custom bat-wing bush-hogs and dual wheel 4WD tractors make my hillsides bloom.

out here in the 30s through the 80s Lehmans Lovegrass was planted all over the place for erosion control and to seed right-of-ways etc, it spreads pretty well on its own with millions of seeds per ounce. now they call it invasive and a lot of cattle people don't like it but if your cattle know it they can get hog fat on it in the fall. I am happy to have it. grows fine amongst the brush and rocks.

Latest posts