steel vs aluminium

Help Support CattleToday:

NOREASTER

Reaction score
I know aluminium is great for grooming chutes because it is light and portable but when we groom animals they sometimes get excited especially when you clip their heads. Wouldn't steel be sturdier and more safe for the animal because it is heavy and not so likely to move - any thoughts or experiences? Does anyone know of any dealers where I can buy a chute that would be close to NY - the few I have looked into the shipping is almost half of the cost of the chute.

We have a steel one currently and it is a pain to haul. I am thinking about getting an aluminium one to take to the shows and keep the old steel one at home when working with calves. Figure by the time we take them to show they have got use to it and should not damage it. Or at least I hope so.

Depending on how far you are willing to travel, Freys Livestock Supply sells them. They are located in Lancaster, Pa. They have a website and a catalog.
Scottsdale Supply also sell them. They are in Scottsdale,Pa. I think they just have a catalog. I think they have a stand at the NY State Fair, but I'm sure.

Yes, Scottdale Supply is at NY State Fair. Their tel # is 800-649-7469 (Debbie & John)
We have a steel chute - very heavy, but we no longer haul our chute to the shows. What little clipping or grooming needs to be done, we do in the stalls.
I have had other showstrings tell us that the aluminum will "fold" up under pressure.
If you want an aluminum for the weight of hauling, a sturdy steel chute at home is suggested. You never (well most don't) clip faces/heads at the show. That is done at home. So, you might be able to purchase a used steel chute for at home.
But, even though cattle going to the show are "broke" - things happen & they can get frightened & act up pretty bad in the chute. I would want a heavy sturdy one.

You can get combination chutes (alum. & steel). We use an alum. from Sullivan's show supply. They also have different chutes from lighter made to a more sturdy model. Ours work great.

I have a Steel chute and my Uncle has a aluminum one. One day we were clipping a older calf in the aluminum chute. I say she weighted 1400 pounds got spooked and was going crazy slipped and fell down on one of the bars and broke it in half with no problem. That steel chute is so so hard to move but if you got two people with you you'll be al right. I like the steels!!!

Hire a professional fitter. They will be at most of the major shows. They will bring chutes with them. You won't have to mess with it this way.

At home we use 3 home made steel/iron chutes. They were 4-H welding projects. VERY heavy, and very durable. They have stood the test of time and some ornery cows!

For the road, we use alum. It is made from round tubing. We bought it in PA (don't remember which supplier) but we've drug that around for about 6 years and really use it hard. It has been worth every penny. The only negative (and it's a small one) is the alum will discolor white cattle where the neck rubs. We just wrap the bars with white vet wrap and it works fine.

I believe the round tubing is much sturdier than the square on these light weight chutes.

Get one with wheels and the kids and wife will love you!

Latest posts