Steel roofing- Horizontal of Vertical?

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Thinking of putting steel roofing on our Quonset. I see a lot of them around with the steel running horizontal which seems wrong to me. How do you seal the seams at the end of the sheet?

Roll caulking for sealing both the end and the lengths. Buy the caulking from the place you buy the quality fasteners and high quality sheeting. Not Lowes or HD.

If you start from the bottom and work up just over lap the ends by 6" or so. Horizontal just doesn;t make any sense to me

Start at the bottom and overlap the same as you do vertical. Horazontal is the only way it'll make the curve of the building.

mridgecattleco":umca3xrt said:
Start at the bottom and overlap the same as you do vertical. Horazontal is the only way it'll make the curve of the building.
AHA, didn;t notice the quonset hut part.

I don't know what a Quonset is, but the house I built has corrugated zincalume cladding on external walls and the roof. The walls are horizontal, no caulking is needed just start from bottom and overlap. There are some great extrusions available for both internal and external corners to which the sheets butt into making weather and vermin proof. I was told the horizontal sheets would collect dust, I have not found this to be the case. Horizontal sheets are best for a conventially framed house as they screw directly to the vertical studs. I built my house with a steel frame as well, all the outside is zincalume, not a scrap of paint, absolutely zero maintenance.
After spending a year building it, I bought another block to run more cattle, it just happened to have a house on it as well, I live there now and rent out my "dream home", but it is low maintenance.
Ken