Steel Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
Anyone bought any steel lately? I just went by the steel yard to get a 20' stick of 3x3 3/16 square tube . 129.00

Needless to say I have put out several ads on craigslist for the scrape guys offering to pay 20 cent a lb on quality tube ,angle and channel iron.

I bought some a while back and I don't think it was nearly that much.. this winter I paid about $.65/lb for square tube, about $.55 for cold rolled flat I think.. I have a connection to a good account which helps some. I built my truck deck for about $300 in steel 2 winters ago, which was a 24ft piece of 4x4x1/8th sq tube, 2 pieces of 2x2x1/8th sq tube, and 20 ft of 3x3x1/4 angle.

In all honesty, its made it to were you can buy the finished product, cheaper than you can build it yourself.

Bigfoot":1mxi6rso said:
In all honesty, its made it to were you can buy the finished product, cheaper than you can build it yourself.

Im starting to think this is true. I'll have about 250.00 bucks in the quick connect frame I building.

M5farm":209t2i5k said:
Bigfoot":209t2i5k said:

Im starting to think this is true. I'll have about 250.00 bucks in the quick connect frame I building.

Also some cut rate metal starting to show up. You almost stand, and watch the stuff rust.

like I said before I know quite a few junk men and I have called them and told them what I was looking for and willing to double there scrap price for good quality angle iron, channel iron, square tube.

You can't buy new 20 foot bumper pull trailers for $450 any more either. :)

These prices have a lot of old equipment worth more as junk iron than it is worth as equipment.

I still have a lot of 20 foot steel that I bought for pennies on a dollar at an auction. It is all galvanized so you had best be in the wind when you weld on it.

Drill pipe is being tested for background radiation now and most of it goes to Mexico; it can't be sold legally here in the U.S. Makes it scarce is comparison to what it used to be. Yet granite countertops with 10 times the amount of background go out from the store every day. :) Coleman lantern mantles too.

I am having a hard time finding pallet forks also. They will not sell the used ones to be used as forks because of OSHA. They just haul them to the scrap yard so
I have contacted all of the repair shops here and told them I want to buy them for scrap and will pay double the scrap price.

Bigfoot":rmnjobvb said:

I know a fellow that is good with steel, decided to build himself a crowding tub. By the time everything was rolled and welded, he was a couple hundred less than a brand new name brand tub, and it wasn't painted yet. That was materials only, no labour factored in.

M5farm":j8ph8cc4 said:
I am having a hard time finding pallet forks also. They will not sell the used ones to be used as forks because of OSHA. They just haul them to the scrap yard so
I have contacted all of the repair shops here and told them I want to buy them for scrap and will pay double the scrap price.

If you happen to come up with 2 sets, let me know. I'm just down the road in Chipley and we haven't been able to find any either.

I havent bought any lately but I did sell some old peanut combines and other old equipment we had on various farms and it brought 12 bucks per 100

gberry":76efjpyj said:
M5farm":76efjpyj said:

If you happen to come up with 2 sets, let me know. I'm just down the road in Chipley and we haven't been able to find any either.
I got one of there service men on it. I told him I needed 4 sets. He said it may take h a few days to find some. I will let you know .

gberry":1z8hpz66 said:
M5farm":1z8hpz66 said:

I've got two sets. One works on the backhoe front bucket, with a three hooks. They are super heavy duty. I pick up pallets of rock with them. No problem. Just have to make sure the tires are completely aired up. The other set came with the Caterpillar track loader when I bought it. They are almost as robust. Don't use either set that much any more but would not dream of parting company with them.

That junk iron dealer in Cleburne Texas had several sets back when I bought the ones for the hoe. Prices were not too outrageous back then.

Latest posts