steel pipe continus fence

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I have seen miles of this oil field pipe fence while traveling in OK and TX. Is it cost permitive to build now , I have High tensil, and woven wire, non of which is a do all . i was considering buying some of the pre-built sections of the pipe fence, i have not done any price shopping yet, . How long will it last and is going to hold up to keeping bulls seperated , I have bulls destroy , high tensil with power on it , trying to get togather. How hard is it to build ? I plan to fence in a few small areas , for weaning and ally ways and holding pens , ect...any comments will be appreciated .

I got 5X20 foot sections from gobob pipe for 89 bucks a section delivered, line pipes are 1 1/4 tubing. Built a bull pen with it and it's just like the day I put it up a couple of years ago.

I know some folks north of me that has built there corral system out of the panels from gobob. They did run a heavy pipe toprail. Give me a while to watch how that one holds up. They put some real rank cattle threw it.

Most use 2 3/8 pipe. Some people have the the oil men put it up as part of their lease agreement. It is expensive but is very stout. Very labor intensive to build from scratch. A cheaper alternative is to use it for your posts and top rail and then cover with 1/4"welded wire panels. A bottom and center rail can be made of a cheaper, easy to work material such as angle.

I personally pay a little more for square tubing. Not having to cope all the pipe makes up for the difference in price. You can get by with 1/8 wall and welded wire if you weld the wire on 12" centers along the top and bottom rail. I don't use a center rail on the pens but do on the alleys and crowd areas. This makes the wire and tube act like a truss and is very stout. A cow may get her front over the top, but it won't collapse and the cow can't get her back over. I make everything in 8' increments so I can use 24' long tube and 16' long panels.

polledbull":27v4infb said:
I have seen miles of this oil field pipe fence while traveling in OK and TX. Is it cost permitive to build now , I have High tensil, and woven wire, non of which is a do all . i was considering buying some of the pre-built sections of the pipe fence, i have not done any price shopping yet, . How long will it last and is going to hold up to keeping bulls seperated , I have bulls destroy , high tensil with power on it , trying to get togather. How hard is it to build ? I plan to fence in a few small areas , for weaning and ally ways and holding pens , ect...any comments will be appreciated .
Pipe fence is pretty and really set off a place but is pretty expensive. Last I had done was about $15 a running foot as best I remember. That was concreting the posts into the ground, welding the pipes and painting...4 horizontal pipe.

Latest posts