Stealing your parents blind

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Three cases of it here right recently. Two, I am very familiar with the families (no need to lie, I'm related to them). At some point, the parent gives the kids (in this case adult children) power of attorney. When the time is right, they start leaching the funds. Hard to imagine doing that to anybody, much less your parents. They've all got some backwards butt excuse as to why they did it. It's expensive running errands-----------Yeah, they know, they used to haul you every where. They would want me to enjoy life------------Yeah, that's why they worked well in to their 70's, so you could travel. Rediculous watching adults buy more "stuff", at an invalids expense.

I'm always the oddball. I never wanted a horse somebody else had trained. I don't like for anybody to buy me something. I never concern myself with what others have, or didn't have. I just can't see kicking your parents, when their down.

Bigfoot":1i72eytv said:
Three cases of it here right recently. Two, I am very familiar with the families (no need to lie, I'm related to them). At some point, the parent gives the kids (in this case adult children) power of attorney. When the time is right, they start leaching the funds. Hard to imagine doing that to anybody, much less your parents. They've all got some backwards butt excuse as to why they did it. It's expensive running errands-----------Yeah, they know, they used to haul you every where. They would want me to enjoy life------------Yeah, that's why they worked well in to their 70's, so you could travel. Rediculous watching adults buy more "stuff", at an invalids expense.

I'm always the oddball. I never wanted a horse somebody else had trained. I don't like for anybody to buy me something. I never concern myself with what others have, or didn't have. I just can't see kicking your parents, when their down.

I call them the family buzzards always circling looking for a free meal or ride.
Every family has a good supply fed by greed and laziness.

Its ridiculous what goes on in general. Look up how many cases of parents stealing their children's identities also. It goes both ways. I have friends that went to buy their first vehicles or homes and found out their parents had thousands of dollars in credit card bills in their names.

Money just magnifies peoples true selves.... a lot of the times its not good.

Wife's brother had a power of attorney printed off from the internet and got my in-laws to sign it behind everyone's back. He was found out before anything happened. It wouldn't have stood up in court, but that wouldn't matter if things were already gone. He took advantage of Their mother's situation being wore out and stressed from taking care of their father.

Have the parents standard of living declined or have they had to go without or endangered of going broke?
Are 2 children shorting the inheritance assets of other siblings?

Without knowing details can't really pass judgement, especially if all are of sound mind.

ALACOWMAN":jp5x3c94 said:
Wait till the parents die,, then the show really begins...but maybe they will hold out till their in the ground...

You are right on there. Where I live, there's nothing that will make a bunch of rednecks fight and fall out more that having to divide up the estate after the parents die. I don't get it.

We had a discussion along these lines with my parents this evening. Life dealt them a serious bunch of lemons in February, 1998. Long story short, my little sister was called up, and Dad kind of folded. As a Daddy, I can't imagine getting through it, so I've tried to never judge how he or Mom handled it....or still handle it. Anyhow, they squared things with the feds today (a debt they didn't really owe....just based it on prior earnings) and walked away in the black. They still own some good real estate, and we've lost some close family friends in the past couple weeks.....That's where this gets back on topic. Mom asked what I wanted, and I made it clear to not leave me anything but the bills. Leave the estate to my sister or my kid. Mom got a little upset when I told them that they have a good payday on the way if I kick the bucket, and she got a lot upset when she found out that I prefer cremation and a party to burial and a funeral. She really lost it when Dad said he'd rather be torched, too. My folks are good at aggravating the pizz outa me, but I still can't imagine trying to rob them in their twilight. I'll be a happy man if they cost me a fortune in their old age.

I have that going on in my house right now. My grandmother owns a cottage and has a son who leeches everything off of him. Took the car that was written to me for sure know that he will take the cottage too once she goes. She only gets $200 off my grandfather's pension and he spends every bit.

I have a deadbeat, free loading brother that's been through drug rehab five different times. Now he's on prescription drugs and is messed up again....legally. He's crazy and has everyone's scared of him, and has no business owning a gun but does. He's stole paintings, jewelry, vehicles from my parents and traded them for dope. I really wish someone would just shoot him behind the ear before one of us has to. He swindled my dad out of $125k last year and my dad says he's just sick and no good. We all try to avoid him as much as possible but he's part of the family business, so that's kind of difficult. It was my mom's wish that he stays part of the family, or he'd be down the road. A few hours before she passed she asked my brother and I to look after Craig. He's felt he's been owed something his whole life and never hardly worked. Been nothing but a pos and I don't see it getting anything but worse.
It won't suprize me at all, if one day, this idiot I call a brother ruins our family. Every family has problems, you just do the best you can and move along. Time waits for no man. Cherish your parents if your still lucky enough to have them, you miss them every day when their gone.

I just said a little prayer for all ya'll and being thankful for the cards I was dealt.

I'm watching this unfold with my brother's estate already. It's heart breaking to watch. I advised them that a will is rarely 'fair' or 'equal' but is merely a reflection of what the deceased person wanted in regards to his/her holdings. It is to be adhered to. He did leave them a heck of a mess to straighten up, with a lot of debt to pay off but it's easily doable if greed is avoided. "Avoid even the appearance of evil"

True Grit Farms":3tphiomz said:
I have a deadbeat, free loading brother that's been through drug rehab five different times. Now he's on prescription drugs and is messed up again....legally. He's crazy and has everyone's scared of him, and has no business owning a gun but does. He's stole paintings, jewelry, vehicles from my parents and traded them for dope. I really wish someone would just shoot him behind the ear before one of us has to. He swindled my dad out of $125k last year and my dad says he's just sick and no good. We all try to avoid him as much as possible but he's part of the family business, so that's kind of difficult. It was my mom's wish that he stays part of the family, or he'd be down the road. A few hours before she passed she asked my brother and I to look after Craig. He's felt he's been owed something his whole life and never hardly worked. Been nothing but a pos and I don't see it getting anything but worse.
It won't suprize me at all, if one day, this idiot I call a brother ruins our family. Every family has problems, you just do the best you can and move along. Time waits for no man. Cherish your parents if your still lucky enough to have them, you miss them every day when their gone.

What a train wreck. I have 3 brothers and a sister. Never so much as one ill word between us. Mom and dad lived long full lives. Simple and poor but happy. I am truly thankful I don't deal with a situation like this. You have my sincerest sympathies.

I put the pressure on my parents to do all the dividing up while they are alive still. My dad was not happy about it at first. After watching death's on his side and my moms side he is all for it. Its strange for people to do because they don't want to look at their heirs and admit what they do or don't have but its the best way.

my sister has bled my parents dry since she was in HS.

They retired 2 years ago and looks like she's got about 100k of it spent at the minimum i'd say. Doubt they'll last much longer and will just be on SS soon. then probably time for another sugar daddy.

nothing for me though. haha.

Had something happen like this when my stepdad passed. He passed unexpectedly. My sister was always borrowing and begging from him. He bought her vehicles, gave her cash whenever, etc... I never asked anything from him, even when I struggled as a single mom. My sister is a drug user who professes to be clean now...so my mom and her husband bought her a racecar to "live out her dream". I got a bit jealous when all I heard about was "her dream" and it was non-stop all about her. The troubled one. The one who has robbed everyone blind and constantly taken from them. Meanwhile, I am working day in and day out in a real career 6 days a week, along with raising cattle, farming, my kids are wonderful individuals, and I got no praise. I haven't been to prison. I haven't shot dope or lost my kids. But, she's held on a pedestal.

Broke the camels back when my stepdad passed away and he left anything of value to me (talking sentimental, fishing poles and his cheesy husker memorabilia) and when my mom questioned about his coin collection and an insurance policy (he let lapse), I told her I had the coin collection given to me years ago for my kids and has been in my possession for 15+ years and she went on to say that my sister was entitled to half of it.

My mom and I haven't talked now in 8 months and my sister is having a fun time on social media, playing a victim. I don't know how something gifted to me, so long ago, is somehow a part of his estate? Not like I hold a 2 Million dollar coin. If they were gifted to me, per say...I'd just give them to her. But they were intended for my kids.

I am going through a similar situation here. I retired in 2015 to be able to take care of cattle and take Dad to VA in Atlanta for chemo twice weekly. Older brother is like me = straight up. Younger brother is a dirt bag alcoholic, drug user who makes his way from frivolous lawsuits (fell down elevator shaft, fire extinguisher went off in his face, etc) He is too lazy to work or support his children. Currently on his fourth appeal for social security disability.
He did not see dad four times in the two years before Dad died. He talked Dad into giving him cash a year ago as his inheritance. It was signed and notarized. Now little brother has gone through that and wants more money and was "cheated" out of his full inheritance. Little brother is such a slime ball that he has my Mom sending him $600 from Texas out of her social security check every month.
A word of advice to anyone with a brother/sister like this. Do NOT let your dad talk you into helping with his will and doing it with online software. Does not matter that Dads wife was there and approved everything. Does not matter that it was signed and notarized. Pay for Dads attorney to do the will yourself. Will be the best money you spent.

I have a lot to be thankful for. When my father passed away he had already divided up most of the big stuff between me and my sister, and after he was gone I figured out what I thought was fair regarding the rest of it. I said to her one day "How about if I take A, B, and C, and you take D, E, and F? Or we can get it all appraised if you want." She said "No, we don't need an appraisal. That sounds good to me." And we were done. Never a cross word or hurt feeling.

Rafter S":2to3zcyn said:
I have a lot to be thankful for. When my father passed away he had already divided up most of the big stuff between me and my sister, and after he was gone I figured out what I thought was fair regarding the rest of it. I said to her one day "How about if I take A, B, and C, and you take D, E, and F? Or we can get it all appraised if you want." She said "No, we don't need an appraisal. That sounds good to me." And we were done. Never a cross word or hurt feeling.
Pretty much waht we did....brother had already stolen all their money so wasn't enough to argue over. Little sister actually got most of everything but all by mutual agreement.

NEFarmwife":2gho8z6c said:
Had something happen like this when my stepdad passed. He passed unexpectedly. My sister was always borrowing and begging from him. He bought her vehicles, gave her cash whenever, etc... I never asked anything from him, even when I struggled as a single mom. My sister is a drug user who professes to be clean now...so my mom and her husband bought her a racecar to "live out her dream". I got a bit jealous when all I heard about was "her dream" and it was non-stop all about her. The troubled one. The one who has robbed everyone blind and constantly taken from them. Meanwhile, I am working day in and day out in a real career 6 days a week, along with raising cattle, farming, my kids are wonderful individuals, and I got no praise. I haven't been to prison. I haven't shot dope or lost my kids. But, she's held on a pedestal.

Broke the camels back when my stepdad passed away and he left anything of value to me (talking sentimental, fishing poles and his cheesy husker memorabilia) and when my mom questioned about his coin collection and an insurance policy (he let lapse), I told her I had the coin collection given to me years ago for my kids and has been in my possession for 15+ years and she went on to say that my sister was entitled to half of it.

My mom and I haven't talked now in 8 months and my sister is having a fun time on social media, playing a victim. I don't know how something gifted to me, so long ago, is somehow a part of his estate? Not like I hold a 2 Million dollar coin. If they were gifted to me, per say...I'd just give them to her. But they were intended for my kids.

it amazes me how the more lazy, ungrateful, and useless a person is... the more they give to them. :dunce:

Latest posts