stealing plates for gas

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Local gas station owner told me this so I went home and looked it up on snopes.com.

Just an FYI that is going to sound ridiculous.....

Keep an eye on your license plate! Make sure you always know it's there! Mine was stolen this weekend and I have no idea when! The lady at the revenue office said that they have replaced several license plates since gas prices have been so high. People are stealing them, putting them on their vehicles to go buy gas and driving off without paying! When the license plate is reported as the "drive off vehicle", it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!!

Here is the link...it is true :mad:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/gastheft.asp

Three years ago I bought diesel at the gas station on the 67 loop there in Cleburne, at the 174 exit. The diesel (luckily) was paid for with a debit card. I had the receipt in my wallet (thankfully)

I was about 5 miles out of Cleburne and a cop comes flying up with lights flashing so I pull over to let him by. He pulls over behind me. Then another cop car, then another. They handcuffed me. "Where you been, where you going..." all kinds of questions. It turns out the lady at the store called me in as a drive off for $25 gasoline. I tell the cop, "first off this is a diesel pick-up." "Secondly, I paid with a debit card and kept the receipt so that I can deduct it from the checkbook. If you'll uncuff me and let me get to my wallet I will produce it."

Apparently the lady had me confused with another person, thought it was me, took my plate number, and called me in.

1. Thank goodness I was in a diesel pick-up.

2. I had the receipt.

3. The cops finally believed me.

The station owners I talk to say the police don't want to mess with drive offs. They gave the police the licence number and description and nothing gets done.Not criticizing law enforcement, just stating what I have been told in my area.

Fred":g12ilz1j said:
The station owners I talk to say the police don't want to mess with drive offs. They gave the police the licence number and description and nothing gets done.Not criticizing law enforcement, just stating what I have been told in my area.

Don't believe that in Cleburne, Texas. They were downright serious about it long before fuel go expensive.

backhoeboogie":1ffy4bd7 said:
Fred":1ffy4bd7 said:

Don't believe that in Cleburne, Texas. They were downright serious about it long before fuel go expensive.

They are serious about it in Arkansas also...they suspend your license. ;-)

certherfbeef":190btrb3 said:
Local gas station owner told me this so I went home and looked it up on snopes.com.

Just an FYI that is going to sound ridiculous.....

Keep an eye on your license plate! Make sure you always know it's there! Mine was stolen this weekend and I have no idea when! The lady at the revenue office said that they have replaced several license plates since gas prices have been so high. People are stealing them, putting them on their vehicles to go buy gas and driving off without paying! When the license plate is reported as the "drive off vehicle", it's YOU they contact! Be aware!!!!

Here is the link...it is true :mad:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/gastheft.asp

And I thought car theft was the worse :shock:

Most all the gas stations around here you have to prepay for gasoline. Even stations I have dealt with for years now I have to prepay.

backhoeboogie":11akj850 said:
Fred":11akj850 said:

That's because they do the multi-cop thing in Cleburne. No matter what it is, there will be at least two cars that show up. I don't know if they are over staffed, or if there's just no crime. I suspect that it is easier to pull people over than to drive around the east side at night, where there is acutal crime.

No offense to law enforcement in general. Got nothin' but love. That is my observation from having lived there for several years. Can't blame them. I don't like driving around the east side in the daytime.

Lammie":2b5lj8dy said:
backhoeboogie":2b5lj8dy said:
Fred":2b5lj8dy said:

That's because they do the multi-cop thing in Cleburne. No matter what it is, there will be at least two cars that show up. I don't know if they are over staffed, or if there's just no crime. I suspect that it is easier to pull people over than to drive around the east side at night, where there is acutal crime.

No offense to law enforcement in general. Got nothin' but love. That is my observation from having lived there for several years. Can't blame them. I don't like driving around the east side in the daytime.

Lammie,

Many years ago I worked Section 8 Rental Assistance...and many of the houses I had to inspect were in "East Cleburne." It could get a bit "hairy." :shock:

Alice

I buy just about all my fuel from a little Mom/Pop station. They know me. When I pull in, they turn on the pumps.

I hate those pre-pay situations. I never know exactly how many nickels its gonna take to fill it up.

I know the clerk most every where I buy gas. The sign says pre pay but with a wave to the clerk the pump comes on. When I am not at home I pay at the pump. But I have had to go in the store and pay before. I just did not fill up then. I bought just enough gas to get somewhere else. I can't stand to do business with someone that won't trust me.

When They first started prepay here I got by with just a wave. Someone must have complained I was getting preferential treatment. The help said they would be fired if everyone didn't prepay. I went to another station, it was prepay there too. A sign of the times. :( :(

We own the station in town but rent it to another guy to operate. Most everyone runs a tab then pays up weekly or monthly. Even us highschool kids run in and grab food at lunch time and just write it down. Talk about small town, lol.

Latest posts