stealing milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
We have been raising cattle for only five years and learn something new all the time. love this fourm .
We have this three 1/2 year old black angus cow she weighs about 1200lbs. we found sucking on other cows while they are nursing there babies. She had a calf last year but did not calf this year. She waits till the calf is nursing and then steals milk from behind. Is this normal? or is she missing something in her diet?

Holmesfarm":1spj1agc said:
We have been raising cattle for only five years and learn something new all the time. love this fourm .
We have this three 1/2 year old black angus cow she weighs about 1200lbs. we found sucking on other cows while they are nursing there babies. She had a calf last year but did not calf this year. She waits till the calf is nursing and then steals milk from behind. Is this normal? or is she missing something in her diet?

It's not normal and what she's missing is a ride to the nearest freezer

dun

I have two that do this. They stand end to end - 69 if you will - and drink each others milk. I considered putting them on a trailer but their calves have ADG's well above the herd average. I assume if they can do this, they must be making plenty. (Usually it is when the calves are young and not demanding much. It slows down when the calves get larger then picks back up again when I wean.)

We've had the same thing happen here but one of the little theives was weaned too young and the other had his mother drown in a creek when he was 6 wks old so he didn't get to nurse as long as normal. We just say " they didn't get their suck out". I've had people say it happens alot with bottle fed babies and in our case calves that were weaned too soon. BUT with all that being said, it really needs to stop. We were able to break ours but if we hadn't been able to, they would be gone. You can't have a grown animal stealing a calves milk, and I don't know what your conditions are with grass and such, but the cow doesn't need that kind of pull on her going into winter.

Duck

Jogeephus":21s2cvkz said:
I have two that do this. They stand end to end - 69 if you will - and drink each others milk. I considered putting them on a trailer but their calves have ADG's well above the herd average. I assume if they can do this, they must be making plenty. (Usually it is when the calves are young and not demanding much. It slows down when the calves get larger then picks back up again when I wean.)

Joegee,
Not many things really get my dander up on the farm but grown cows sucking others will have me hooking up the trailer about quicker than anything. Doesn't matter how good a calf they produce.

I agree 100% Cowdirt! Nothing worse than a mature animal stealing. They are next to impossible to wean, and they are stealing valuable nutrition from a calf! Best thing to do is ship them at the earliest opportunity.

Holmesfarm":18jb9e9k said:

No, this is not normal - she is taking nutrition away from the calves. I would separate her immediately, then ship her for the next sale.

Cowdirt":230rdwzl said:
Jogeephus":230rdwzl said:

Joegee,
Not many things really get my dander up on the farm but grown cows sucking others will have me hooking up the trailer about quicker than anything. Doesn't matter how good a calf they produce.

I agree with you. I can't stand to see it when it happens and normally break up their little circle of love. But the bottom line for me is they are good cows, easy fleshing and raising calves in the top of the ADG. So as long as they can raise a good calf without hurting one anothers production - I'm going go with what the printout says and cull the low gainers.

TheBullLady":1698k1k1 said:
I agree 100% Cowdirt! Nothing worse than a mature animal stealing. They are next to impossible to wean, and they are stealing valuable nutrition from a calf! Best thing to do is ship them at the earliest opportunity.

Wean? Heck the two in question are 6 years old. But as I said, they seem to do it during the periods where they have a surplus of milk. Later, when the calf needs more they will kick each other off only to begin again when I pull the calves.

Heckfire, I might have some of them lebanese cattle! :lol:

Thanks for all the replys. We did separate them she is in with the weaning calfs.I think she is bred and she gave us a good calf last year and Our freezer is full. the last bunch of calfs get weaned next month after that she can go back in. I hope it doesn`t contunie in spring when the freshen.

Workinonit Farm":6c7uoms8 said:
Holmesfarm":6c7uoms8 said:
I hope it doesn`t contunie in spring when the freshen.

Mark my words, it will happen again.

Katherine

How could it not? :shock:

Alice

Won't be broken of this habit.
At her age she's not off the chart for good beef, I'd take the rib and loin cuts and grind the rest.
Or you could just take her to the sale.
Just my two bits worth...DMc

The only way to stop her at that age is SALE BARN. She will always nurse a cow evey time she gets the chance (ALWAYS)

If she is one of your best cows then you can put a weaning clip in her nose as well. But if not ship her especially if she didn't have a calf last year

Holmesfarm":3acclbi4 said:

I would ship her also. I'm just guessing here, but I would be worried about her showing her calves or others how to get an extra meal.

Alan

Years ago my old Grand Daddy had a device he called a "Blab". It is a piece of Tin that has really jagged holes punched in it from one side and a nose clamp. You put this device in the nose of the offending calf or cow and when they attempt to suck, it sticks the cow with the milk and they usually wind up kicking the crap out of the calf or cow your trying to wean. Works really good but I haven't seen one of these "blabs" in years. I don't know if they are still available.

Earl Thigpen":57h0y3qd said:
Years ago my old Grand Daddy had a device he called a "Blab". It is a piece of Tin that has really jagged holes punched in it from one side and a nose clamp. You put this device in the nose of the offending calf or cow and when they attempt to suck, it sticks the cow with the milk and they usually wind up kicking the crap out of the calf or cow your trying to wean. Works really good but I haven't seen one of these "blabs" in years. I don't know if they are still available.

They are. The newer ones are pretty muc hthe same except they don;t have to sharp points. I had one that had the prongs on both sides and had to kill a cow because the calf cut her up so bad.

dun

Latest posts