Stealing a post/Drifting off subject

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
As with any good discussion, often times when reading someones original question another question or subject will come up. What is the best way to handle this situation? Should we start a new post?

denoginnizer,

Probably your choice. I have seen it both ways. If you start a new question it is easier for someone to pick up the subject...maybe be better for newcomers...searchers.

Just a thought.

I am one of the worst offenders of this - and in truth I think the main question or main point is where we need to stay.

The opposing argument is that it does bring up ancilliary topics that can be of interest.

Read them or skip them.

Other than that I do not have an answer - but I suspect there will be others who do.

Just my two cents.

Bez

Bez, I dont think you're any worse than any of the rest of us in here about drifting off topic. Just seems to happen sometimes in the normal ebb and flow of conversation.

Ex: how do you keep fence rows clean...leads to what chemical to use...leads to what to mix it with....leads to what kind of sprayer do you use..leads to what kind of dye should you use..leads to ...who knows where next? Don't really think any of these deserve their own post, but it was starting to drift a little bit away from the original question.

Since I read most posts completely, the straying doesnt really bother me, as there is usually some useful information in these posts.

can i say something here guys its not really stealing posts its having several qs come up from the posted q and thats great means ppl feel free to ask qs scott

to me, it isn't stealing posts. it is the fact that any question leads to answers that both raise new questions and also foster new ideas and various thoughts related to that topic. in farming, there are so many different angles and ways of doing things and so many variables according to geography and climate that even the simplest question leads in several directions. i do appreciate that when people are answering questions and they have an additional thoughts that they feel might help someone, they mention that thought----keeps me thinking and gives me a chance to learn more and broader things than just the simple question--i am also very guilty of adding things that aren't exactly what the question was asking--i read the whole post, so i do pick up other thoughts---although i tend to discount some of the personal comments directed from one to another----lol

stocky im the same way i igore things thats not with the post like you said 1q leads to 100 qs on that sub as we wll know or ties into another sub scott

I to am guilty of asking a question unrelated to the question that started the post. When I have started a post and it has lead into a different discussion it has never bothered me . I am here to learn and share info with others . I was just making sure that I wasnt doing something that was wrong.

eric":j04uqs49 said:
Nah...trust me, if you do something wrong, there will be plenty of folks who will call you out on it!

Or maybe even if you don't do something wrong...

So, has anyone figured out a way to get those sick calves we always hear about back on the sucking trail?

has anyone emailed Caustic about his marketing method for calves?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bez

My experience is you get the answer to your question within the first five or so posts and then someone will ask another question and that will get answered and so on and so on and so on.... I think that's pretty neat.

Dick

Latest posts