Steak on a pellet grill?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Can it be done? Looks like they should be capable of 500 deg F.

Any of you ever try it? How about hamburgers?

I've been wondering the same thing. Can you get a char on steaks and burgers? I cooked burgers on a gas grill that didn't have direct heat a couple months ago and overcooked them because i was expecting a char sometime but never got it. The outside of the burgers just stayed gray.

I appreciate you guys that cook outside, and make it "your thing". I sear a steak on both sides in an iron skillet and throw it in the oven. Never had a bad one yet.

I cook steaks and burgers on our Green Mountain Grill all the time. It goes up to 500 degrees.
You didn't ask about Pork Chops, but the best way to cook any pork chop is to smoke it at 225-250 for 45 minutes. Butter a frying pan and sear it in the butter. They call it a reverse sear. Man are they good cooked this way. I have read you can do it with steak as well, just haven't tried it yet. Good luck!

Thanks all,
We just processed a 1170lb steer. Going to try ribeyes and sirloin tonight with grill grates. Supposed to be able to do 500 degrees.
I did ribeyes and T-bones on our Pit Boss smoker this past weekend. Set it on 500 and hit each side 5 minutes plus 5 more to eliminate the "pink". Good stuff!

We've got a Pitboss vertical smoker and love cooking on it. Our gas grill is getting old and in need of a replacement so, I've been eyeing the Pitboss smoker/gas grill combo. I'm interested to see how these steaks turn out.

I cook steaks and burgers on our Green Mountain Grill all the time. It goes up to 500 degrees.
You didn't ask about Pork Chops, but the best way to cook any pork chop is to smoke it at 225-250 for 45 minutes. Butter a frying pan and sear it in the butter. They call it a reverse sear. Man are they good cooked this way. I have read you can do it with steak as well, just haven't tried it yet. Good luck!

You can definitely do it with steaks. One of the keys to reverse sear is having a thick piece of meat. These are 2" ribeyes reverse seared on pellet grill.

B17B5637-5413-49A7-8079-B0BF21181DA7.jpeg

We cooked our steaks last night on 400 and ended up over cooking a little bit. Flavor was great though. we didn't use the temperature probe and certainly should have.