Stay Safe!

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Hopefully this will remind some of the older folks on here to stay sharp, and for the younger ones to give their parents/in-laws/etc. a tongue lashing when they do something potentially dangerous on the farm.

It's 2:00 a.m. right now. Just got in from checking cows after getting back from the hospital. At about 3:00 PM yesterday, my father flipped a round bale onto himself while feeding hay. While attempting to retrieve a bale for the back forks on the tractor in soft clay, Dad inadvertently grabbed the controls for the loader to steady himself while looking backwards when backing into the bale. Pulling back on the two hydraulic loader levers causes the loader to lift and tilt up the forks until gravity takes over.

The front bale hit him in the chest and rolled over him, pressing his spine into the metal edge of the tractor seat.

The end result is a crushed vertebra, both anterior and posterior, somewhere in the middle of his spine along with a mild concussion and a whole lot of bruised and torn muscles.

He is to be airlifted to Thunder Bay, ON and have possibly have surgery (suggested 9 hours) on Wednesday to insert metal rods.

I figured this would happen eventually, even though I have yelled at and warned him every time he would start lifting a bale too high. Complacency and repetitiveness is the killer in this industry.

Needless to say, at 66, his farming days are now over, and he is bloody lucky to be alive and/or not paralyzed for doing something so stupid and avoidable.

Sorry to here about your dad getting hurt Aaron. He will be in our prayers for a fast recovery. Have a friend that happened to last fall he was loading hay and let one get him. Don"t count your dad out just yet took my friend a while to get going agin but he doing fine now and what ever he wants to do.

Sorry to hear about yor dad.I will pray that he has full recovery. Just remeber he's probably pretty tough after all those years of farming so he will probably surprise you with his recovery. Best of luck to him , you and all your family. JLP

Sorry to hear about your day.

It's always the simple, everyday stuff that hurts and kills people. We've always done it that way and we've always been lucky.

Farm work is dangerous work.

Sorry about your Dad. Do not tell him "I told you so!" At least for now. You know he's kicking himself for doing it..Hope he's up and going soon.

That's awful! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers fully. I hate to hear about things like that.

Tell your story to everyone you can, and not just farmers and ranchers. You're right about complacency and repetition. Not just for our industry but all others as well.
I second what Peg said. He needs your support right now not your scolding and when he looks in your eyes I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to be here. Also, he's 66 not 106, and he's a farmer/rancher. Don't count him out of the game just yet. Do what you can to keep his spirits up. That will go a long way to help him recover.

Ihope all turns out okay Aaron, and thank you for the reminder.

Aaron":1w56fupj said:
Hopefully this will remind some of the older folks on here to stay sharp, and for the younger ones to give their parents/in-laws/etc. a tongue lashing when they do something potentially dangerous on the farm.

Needless to say, at 66, his farming days are now over, and he is bloody lucky to be alive and/or not paralyzed for doing something so stupid and avoidable.

Aaron sorry to here about your dad and he is in our prayers

But I take offense to your statement about older folks being complacent it can happen to ANY of us at anytime I am sure that you have done stupid or dangerous things in your short life also but you were just lucky enough not to be hurt or killed and afterwards you seen how dangerous it really was

as far as his farming being over My wife has had 2 major back surgeries and has rods and screws in her back and she feeds cows,bales hay,builds fences and works cows all the time

My dad at the age of 62 had a construction accident and broke his back in 4 places,split his sternum,shattered his wrist and broke a leg after a yrs recovery he went back to work and worked til he was 70
he still cuts wood and takes care of a few cows and goats and still operates a tractor at the age of 83 so all is not over for you father just be supportive and not critical he already knows what he did wrong he doesn't need you badgering or belittleing him about it

Our prayers

Grandaddy used to kill the tractor but placing his hands across the spark plugs. It drove me nuts. My Dad would wet his finger and stick it in the light socket to check for power when the new bulb didn't work.

Just love him Aaron. You still have him. I lost mine in '93.

So sorry to hear about your Dad, wishing him a speedy recovery, will keep him in my prayers. Hope all goes well for him, he is not old at 66 so don't put him down yet. Thanks for the reminder of not getting to complacent in everyday things....Take care....

Sorry to hear about your dad.Best of luck.
One ? though how was it your fault? The reason i'm asking is anytime my dad who is 66 does something stupid it somehow ends up being my fault.Like last summer we went to buddies who we had leant square baler to pick it up.Dad was in his truck and I took mine to pull trailer with, me and buddy hooked up baler and sent him on his way.4 miles down the road I came up behind dad who was in the middle of the road with baler T-boned around power pole.Said it was my fault that I hadn't put in in travel funny thing was he had went 4 miles on narrow road and that was the last power pole that he could of hit he had somehow managed to miss all the others along with trees bridges and mailboxes.I just picked up pieaces fixed wheel and put it in travel got in his truck and took it to garage for fixer it up.
I will say one thing I hope I am in half as good shape he is at age 66.Take it easy on your dad don't even mention anything about it.Remember when you hit his age you'll still have your head up your A$$ same as you do now and hopefully your kids will be kind enough to smile and take what you do in stride.

yep he's fortunate to be here, a man here was doing pretty much the same thing. but had the bale already on the back fork,and was going up a slight rise and the tractor started to slide when he hit the brakes, it threw the bale on the loader back on top of him..... killing him ....sorry about your dad

Sorry about you dad Aaron,prayers are with you and your family and I hope his surgery goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Accidents can happen to anyone at anytime so we all need to be on our toes . I get mad at hubby when he stacks my large round bales really high because I get scared when I pull them down. The tractor still scares me when I am on it, especially when lifting heavy loads from up high or driving on hilly ground, that is probably a good thing though as I hope I will always be very careful and think before I do something.

Y'all stay scared out there-a little fear is a good thing,keeps you on your toes.. Hope Dad is better--Mine did toooo many things to get started on here,died in bed at 82 bout 10 years ago..

done a stupid thing today, nigh on cut the top of my finger off not paying attention, was chopping veggies to go with dinner and slipped with the chopper. Took the edge of my finger off, blood everywhere, Hospital said it would grow back and not look any different in a few month time.
Aaron as I have said before take care of that Dad of yours and never tell him I told you so, unless you want a clip around the ear, no matter how old you are.

Latest posts