Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
~

Another replacement candidate.

DOB 5/23/07 94 lbs
Same Sire as other heifer.
Mom is a Reg Simmental.

Vet said the cow was open last November.
This heifer was a nice surprise, but born late in our season.

September photo:

91707020GwenB.jpg

October photos:

10307007B.jpg

10307012B.jpg

10307034B.jpg

Should I keep her or sell her at weaning......and why

Thank you for your comments,

she looks a little masculine to me. but otherwise nice. your call.

She is a little bullish.

Other than that, it's hard to find fault with her. Good level top, hooks to pins are even, and has a good set of legs under her.

I'd probably take a chance with her and see what her offspring looks like.

As a 5 month old calf I think she looks stout, I wouldn't call her bullish at this stage. I think she's got the makings of a good replacement beef cow.

CowCop,

I really like her. She has a little more leather up front, but that isn't unusual for Fleckvieh influenced Simmentals. Some of our Gelbviehs, especially those with older genetics not too far back in their pedigree, also have a little extra leather. Some of the old timers will tell you that cattle with more brisket tend to grow better and are more hardy.

She looks like a good one to me. I don't think she looks bullish, actually she looks quite feminine to me. Just because she has some size and frame doesn't make her bullish looking.

What some people call feminine in a heifer, I call scrubby and somewhat undersized.

Sunny roads,
MFC

There is nothing "bullish" about this heifer. Too much muscle :shock: I think not! MUSCLE is what we should all be trying to produce in our females & males.
She has a super feminine head - long & slender. Lots of depth, good topline.
I'm sure you don't need us to say - she's a KEEPER!
She appears to have tremendous growth for being 4 & 5 months old in pics.
A female that has a blockie head, short thick neck & big shoulders is what I consider "masculine".
Sure she has extra leather - SO??? I don't like MY cattle to have a lot of leather, but that does not make them BAD.
Can't tell how long a neck she has because she is turned in each photo.

If you were closer I'd be interested in her. She's very much like the ones we had when I was younger.

cfpinz

She's definitely a keeper. I too don't think she's bullish at all. Look at the angle of her face in the last picture. That is feminine enough for me. I agree with Jeanne on the muscle comment. I was talking to a girl just last week and she was looking at an angus bull who was a victim of the "funnel butt". She said he'd be perfect for her because she wanted replacement heifers and heifers aren't suppose to have muscle. I say put that girl in the keeper pen, she'll definitly make you some ca$h.

She looks fine. Make final decision just before breading. For my part of the world her feet would be trouble. Light colored hooves get sore feet.

Re-read what Jeanne posted. That is coming from a simmy breeder and I think she is dead on about this heifer.

Ship the hereford looking calf and keep this one.
Nice heifer

I like this heifer better than the other heifer. More muscle throughout and particularly in the hind quarters, more eye pigment, and it is hard to tell at this point but maybe a little more moderate framed deeper ribbed more body capacity type heifer. Both are good, but if this one being born late is not a problem I would definitely prefer her.

Latest posts