Staubs in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Have a oppurtunty to pick up pasture/hay ground that had growen up and was bushogged off last fall . Tring to figuare out how to deal with all the staubs that are approx 4 in. tall , and lead pencil to quarter size diameter round . The grass has mostly play out . How would you proceed on this project . I'm hoping not to tear up equipment to rejuvenate this pasture . rj

I think using a heavy disk would work . I'm worried about ruining a rear tractor tire running over the staubs .

cowboy43":3mxxhpru said:
What is a staub ? I googled staub and the only thing that came up was cast iron cookware :!:
A staub is a stick that's poking out of the ground that's left from brush hogging small brush and trees. Medium size ones that are fairly solid are a real killer on tires. The worst staubs I've found are from cedars

Found this dictionary definition: A small protrusion of tree root or stump which is not easy to see but is sufficient to cause you to trip and fall.

That is what I thought he was talking about, I guess it is a regional thing, down here in Texas we call them stobs. :banana:

Don't know if you can do this, but if you want to disc it I would try to find someone with a challenger type machine to pull it for me.

From the dictionary: (Italics are mine) stob (st b) n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A short straight piece of wood, such as a stake

Root plow with a dozer... then rake it. Disking will help a lot but will leave some.

If you do it with your own equipment, you can foam fill the tires... atleast the front. It can happen to the rears no doubt, but in my experience the front tires get the most flats.

No matter how you work the ground when every thing starts growing again get on a good spraying regiment. You can spray a lot of country for the cost of tires, diesel, foam filling, $15K shredders, and the time it takes to do mess with all that. Not to mention the fact you just manipulating the brush... not getting rid of it.

You could always just leave the stobs and start spraying when they start growing. That keeps you and your equipment out of it totally.

IMO 4" is a good thing. Most of those will fold over when you drive over them. Its the 2" ones with the angle cut from a bush hog that get you because they have no give.

Brute 23":1oygf4ah said:
Root plow with a dozer... then rake it. Disking will help a lot but will leave some.

If you do it with your own equipment, you can foam fill the tires... atleast the front. It can happen to the rears no doubt, but in my experience the front tires get the most flats.

No matter how you work the ground when every thing starts growing again get on a good spraying regiment. You can spray a lot of country for the cost of tires, diesel, foam filling, $15K shredders, and the time it takes to do mess with all that. Not to mention the fact you just manipulating the brush... not getting rid of it.

You could always just leave the stobs and start spraying when they start growing. That keeps you and your equipment out of it totally.

IMO 4" is a good thing. Most of those will fold over when you drive over them. Its the 2" ones with the angle cut from a bush hog that get you because they have no give.
That's why dull blades work best for cutting brush. Rather then cutting it the dull blade will jsut shatter and kind of gnaw it off so there isn't a sharp point, it also makes them a little looser in the dirt so they giive more. I had one filed that I had brush hogged a couple of times a year for several years. I din;t know there was an old cedar staub hidden in the grass. Punched a big enough hole that all of the calcium whatever it is shot out like a geyser and the tire had to have multiple thickness boots put in to seal up the hole.

dun":23fu83mb said:
Brute 23":23fu83mb said:

That's why dull blades work best for cutting brush. Rather then cutting it the dull blade will jsut shatter and kind of gnaw it off so there isn't a sharp point, it also makes them a little looser in the dirt so they giive more. I had one filed that I had brush hogged a couple of times a year for several years. I din;t know there was an old cedar staub hidden in the grass. Punched a big enough hole that all of the calcium whatever it is shot out like a geyser and the tire had to have multiple thickness boots put in to seal up the hole.

Yes sir. That is why I detest shredding. I feel like I am just riding around throw cash out the window. IMO, it should only be used as a means to an end when it comes to brush control.

Went ahead and ran bushhog set as low as posible . Seem like it is cutting stobs off close enough to get by . Plan to fertilize this week weather premitting . rj

Latest posts