state to state regulations

Help Support CattleToday:



I am moving from Montana to North Dakota and am taking my 3 pr of cattle with me. Does anyone know what I will need to cross into ND for the cattle? Any shot, brand inspection or what? I do have my brand registered with Montana, but of course not with ND. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

[email protected]
Regulations vary from state to state, as you are probably aware. Generally, though, a health inspection by a veterinarian and a brand inspection by your state brand inspector are needed. Many states require a negative Coggins test within the past 6 months.

If there have been any disease outbreaks in your area, your veterinarian can certify your animal if it is healthy. Your veterinarian will also know what is needed to transfer an animal to another state or will have access to the information.

Don't wait until the last minute, though! The required paperwork and tests can take a week or more to process.

You might do a search and see if N. Dakota has the information you seek online at either their state government site or through their state ag college.

Rafter L Murray Greys
Disregard the Coggins info - I was thinking horses, for some reason. The rest of it is the same, though.

When Utah had an outbreak of Vesicular Stomatitis some time back, our veterinarian had to certify that our cows came from an area free of that disease.
Ask your local veterinarian to contact a vet in the area you are relocating to. Not only do you need to know the regulations required to move from state to state, but you'll need to know if there are any additional vaccinations you need to give your cattle to move into another area. People who live in different areas of the country don't all vaccinate for the same things.

[email protected]

Latest posts