State Farm to Feedlot Programs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Many state have a Farm to Feedlot Program that allows small cattle producers to send a few calves to a feedlot to see how they perform! My area livestock agent just informed me that on the last pen that was sold one calf profitted $ 194 over another calf that netted about $ 10! The difference could be the bull or the cow or both!<p>Has anyone on this forum had any experience with your sate's Farm To Feedlot program?<p>If so how did your cattle perform as to others in the same pen?<p>Have you made any changes based on the results of the performance of your calves in the feedlot?<p>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

<p>Here in Texas, there are many such programs...some are sponsored by different breed associations, some are sponsored by the extension service.<p>We put a small group of calves into the Texas A & M sponsored program called Ranch to Rail, with excellent results. We unfortunately picked a drought year to do this, but were still able to see a profit in each animal! Only 17% of the animals consigned showed a profit that year...mostly because of the price of corn.<p>It is an excellent program .... designed for producers to make good decisions on their breeding selections based on carcass performance. We have made a couple of small changes, but were very happy to find out that we seemed to be on the "right track". I would definately recommend it for anyone who is uncertain what they are producing. Most of the programs offer excellent reporting each step of the way...including $ for feed and medication, cost of gain, gain per day, etc. etc. Very educational.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

Latest posts