State Fair of Texas and the Fall Clasic

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom":2f7qmyze said:
ollie":2f7qmyze said:
I would caution that the slick shows in my opinion leave all the advantage to the crooks. Steroids , air, oil , knives, etc, are all viable options to some fitters and are mostly undetectable.

You can't be serious. Are you aware of the fact that they take the breed and reserve breed champions and any other they want and sonogram them and check for all these things. They can spot the oil and air and things on the sonogram. They also do a drug test on these animals as soon as they exit the ring. Also, the major shows have a weight back so its kinda hard to put a 5 gallon bucket of water (40#) in a steer and still make the wieghtback. People will still cheat but I think the slick show have made it harder, not easier.

I might be wrong here, But I think Ollie is talking about breeding stock here. And besides, air will eventually turn to red meat. The guys that are willing to go to this exterme don't decide 2 days before a show to air them up. This is a long process. What will a sonagram show then?

certherfbeef":1ahpbcdx said:
txshowmom":1ahpbcdx said:
ollie":1ahpbcdx said:
I would caution that the slick shows in my opinion leave all the advantage to the crooks. Steroids , air, oil , knives, etc, are all viable options to some fitters and are mostly undetectable.

You can't be serious. Are you aware of the fact that they take the breed and reserve breed champions and any other they want and sonogram them and check for all these things. They can spot the oil and air and things on the sonogram. They also do a drug test on these animals as soon as they exit the ring. Also, the major shows have a weight back so its kinda hard to put a 5 gallon bucket of water (40#) in a steer and still make the wieghtback. People will still cheat but I think the slick show have made it harder, not easier.

I might be wrong here, But I think Ollie is talking about breeding stock here. And besides, air will eventually turn to red meat. The guys that are willing to go to this exterme don't decide 2 days before a show to air them up. This is a long process. What will a sonagram show then?

The breeding show are not slick shows. The sonogam will show "voids" between the hide and the muscle.

txag":3rskv03m said:
i have no idea whether or not slick shows have increased the use of these, but i do know they were all in practice way before the slick shearing rule was ever put into effect.

Right again txag. This was a practice that was being used in the 60's and probaly before. Oil, air, knives. And the cattle had much hair back then. It was much more than todays show cattle.
Nothing new.

Double A Ranch":39jd84ix said:
She has a Limousin hefer. We have someon to help with the grooming so I dont think we have to worry about that knd of stuff but what abuot things like water hoses and sawdust and rakes or shovles for the stall? We have to take all that kind of stuff for our country fair. Also can we take fans tos hows?

For the Fall Classic at Waco, you have to buy the shavings from the HOT Complex, you can't bring them in.

For the Fall Classic at Waco, you have to buy the shavings from the HOT Complex, you can't bring them in.[/quote]

Thank you rgv4. I guess I would have looke dkind of silly trying to bring them in from home.

To everyone else, thank you for your help and I didn't mean to start such a controverys. The temps down here in TExas stay very warm and the cattle dont grow hair very well. Everyone in our area uses fans so we didnt really know they could grow good hair without them. Showmom how do you get them to grow hair without fans? I just wnat my daughter to be able to compete with eveyone else and not be emabarrassed with her animal.

Double A Ranch":wkm731wp said:
For the Fall Classic at Waco, you have to buy the shavings from the HOT Complex, you can't bring them in.

[/quote]Thank you rgv4. I guess I would have looke dkind of silly trying to bring them in from home.

To everyone else, thank you for your help and I didn't mean to start such a controverys. The temps down here in TExas stay very warm and the cattle dont grow hair very well. Everyone in our area uses fans so we didnt really know they could grow good hair without them. Showmom how do you get them to grow hair without fans? I just wnat my daughter to be able to compete with eveyone else and not be emabarrassed with her animal.[/quote]

Some cattle have the hair gene and some don't. The temps in Texas just don't get cold enough to make some cattle grow hair. A cool room is about the only thing that will work and its just not worth it to us. Short of tieing them up in a snow drift in Montana notmuch else really works.

txshowmom":246h3ys3 said:
ollie":246h3ys3 said:

I am pretty green on steer shows and alot of other things for that matter. Where do they sonogram these steers. I was refering to changing breed shows to a slick show . At breed shows the only place they use an ultrasound machine is the ribeye between the 12th and 13th rib . Some breeds may take a rump fat measurement however I have never seen a heartgirth checked with an ultrasound or a low quarter . What tests do you refer to to check to see if a sheath has been cut loose and reattached? How can you detect a couple bottles of beer in a calf which I have heard will give them an excellent high fill that stays with them longer. I guess after rethinking I should have said the difference between honest people and crooks is greater the more restrictions you put in place because only honest people will respect them.

ollie":3jgvbqtr said:
I guess after rethinking I should have said the difference between honest people and crooks is greater the more restrictions you put in place because only honest people will respect them.
Very, very true. Good point, Ollie.

ollie":1sl1lvsg said:
txshowmom":1sl1lvsg said:
ollie":1sl1lvsg said:

I am pretty green on steer shows and alot of other things for that matter. Where do they sonogram these steers. I was refering to changing breed shows to a slick show . At breed shows the only place they use an ultrasound machine is the ribeye between the 12th and 13th rib . Some breeds may take a rump fat measurement however I have never seen a heartgirth checked with an ultrasound or a low quarter . What tests do you refer to to check to see if a sheath has been cut loose and reattached? How can you detect a couple bottles of beer in a calf which I have heard will give them an excellent high fill that stays with them longer. I guess after rethinking I should have said the difference between honest people and crooks is greater the more restrictions you put in place because only honest people will respect them.

There is no question about that honest people follow the rules no matter what they are. But you have to admit the shows are trying to level the playing field. If you think all these steer jocks wanted a slick show think again.

Hi Lloyd,

if you go to http://www.kemilimousin.com and go to the links page, I have a link to "The Show Box", the leading publication for the TJLA, it has all the info on upcomming events for the TCCA, club Lamb, club pig, club goat, ect.
It is a great magazine if you are tracking points, as well as for advertising and finding show stuff for sale

There is a growing movement for building the Longhorn numbers, mostly for historic reasons and presteige, the infamous pasture ornament

The Longhorn saved the state of Texas way back when and native Texans are hell bent on protecting them, they are unique animals that can survive the harshest of forage conditions, have amazing endurance, and ropers like to cross with them for roping calves