State Fair of Texas and the Fall Clasic

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
Did anyone go to the state fair? If so how did you do. Is anyone going to the Fall Clasic in Waco?

Went to State Fair. My little brother got Senior Champion Female and Reserve Grand Champion Female in the Texas Longhorn Youth show. We didnt do too well in the Open show, though.

Congrats! Have you ever thought about getting the TJLA to recognise Texas Longhorns as a breed. There seem to be a lot more people into Longhorn cattle these days.

txshowmom":3k8ip4he said:
Congrats! Have you ever thought about getting the TJLA to recognise Texas Longhorns as a breed. There seem to be a lot more people into Longhorn cattle these days.

What is TJLA??

txshowmom wrote:
Texas Junior Livestock Association
OK. Thought it may be the Texas Junior Longhorn Assn.

Sorry I see how you might have thought that. The TJLA is the main association for the TCCA (Texas Club Claf Association)
TCLA (Texas Club Lamb Association)
TCMGA (Texas Club Meat Goat Association)
and the TCPA (Texas Club Pig Association)

They sanction prostpect shows and keep track of members ponts that cout troward awards. The also publish The Showbox Magazine.

We have never really gotten interested in the TJLA, b/c there are so many Youth Longhorn shows, that you could go to one nearly every weekend in the fall and spring if you wanted to.

Also, now with the Autobahn Scholarship Tour, people are really starting to focus on the youth shows. For example, in the class of heifers born March/April 2004 at the State Fair there were 19 entries, in the open show same class there were 5. And there are 10 or 11 shows a year apart of this tour and the youth show will have about 75 more entries than the open show....5-7 years ago it would have been the other way around.

I do think it would be good to have the Longhorns as a recognized breed, however I dont think you could get much participation because of the enormous amounts of money in Texas Longhorn Breeders of Tomorrow(TLBT) Shows.

I think our Simbrah heifer and Simmental steer will be going to the Fall Classic. The new H.O.T. coliseum and livestock pavilion is awesome! Especially after showing during construction under TENTS. That was nasty.

My duaghter will be showing a heifer for the frist time this year. We have sort of thought about joining TCCCA but havent desided if its a good idea or necesary. Can you tell me some benfits?

My duaghter will be showing a heifer for the frist time this year. We have sort of thought about joining TCCCA but havent desided if its a good idea or necesary. Can you tell me some benfits?

You can go to their website at http://www.theshowbox.com they can explain it a lot better than I can. Basically you show at sanctioned shows and get points based on how you places. They keep track of everyones points and have an awards banquet at the end of the year. They give out a bunch of top ten jackets and buckles. We really enjoy being involved and it keeps the kids out of trouble. Not that they would have been in trouble anyway.

Double A Ranch":1mcainxj said:
Thanks ShowMom. I checked out the site and it look like a good thing.

For us it's like an extended family. All the people are really nice, for the most part (there's always a few bad grapes in the bunch). It's a way for the kids to have friends from all the state that have the same interest.

Hi again evryone. I called and joined TLJA and also registred for the Fall Classic show. It will be our first big show with a hiefer and my daughter is really excited. Any tips or ideas on what to take or bring to the show?

Any tips or ideas on what to take or bring to the show?

Depends, what breed is she showing. Glad to see you called the TJLA I hope you enjoy what they have to offer. We do!

She has a Limousin hefer. We have someon to help with the grooming so I dont think we have to worry about that knd of stuff but what abuot things like water hoses and sawdust and rakes or shovles for the stall? We have to take all that kind of stuff for our country fair. Also can we take fans tos hows?

You'll need to take all of that stuff with you.. rakes, shovel, wheelbarrow comes in handy. If you use a fan at home you'll need to bring it with the stand also.

Make sure you check the rules for the shows.. some are "blow and go" and don't allow paint or glue. The TJLA shows are great "warm ups" for the majors! Good for exposure for the calves also.

Good luck, and have fun!

Little lady really you didnt mean to say paint or glue did you. we talk about cows and COWshowing on here. Not some San Fransisco sissy art and craft show. COWS and COWshowing

Hey Caustic, You mean to tell me if you got a guy coming to look at a bull for sale, you don't run out in the field with a rattle can to touch him up! :help:

Thank you BullLady. That infromation is really helpful.

I have a new qeustion about fans. Do you use them all through the winter or when is ti too cold? We don't want her to get sick.

Latest posts