Startup breed questions

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
I am almost finished getting my farm set up for rotational grazing and would like some input on best breeds as well as opinions on my plans.

My ultimate goal is to direct market grass-fed beef. However, it will some time to realize a cash flow from that part of the operation. In the interim, what would be a good plan for generating a cash flow? Yearlings? Calves?

In my part of the country, 20 miles southeast of Ada, Black Angus seems to rule. I assume that any short term plans should use a black animal. However, I would prefer a red breed for my long term grass-fed plans.

All ideas, opinions, suggestions are appreciated. I am posting this in the "Beginners" as well as "Breeds" forums.

If you want red I talk to people who like Devon a lot for grass conversion and rotating.
Think there are some around you also.
You've also got some Murray Grey breeders around you. They're not red but I like what they do on grass for me.
If you're not interested in pure breds, I think you'll find body styles in almost any breed that will do well with rotational grazing.
I've got Brahman that get fat just looking at grass

Coalgate? With 100+ deg temps from June thru the forseeable future and no rain in sight the best cash flow you will see is what is in your bank account. Keep it there till things turn around. I ain't one to tell you that the cattle business is all doom and gloom but you can't get in with high prices and no rain and expect to do anything but lose. Wait till spring. Call the Noble foundation in Ardmore. You won't get any better advice than there.

Get yourself the best Angus cows you can find and then put the best Hereford Bull you can find. Forget about all the rest.

MarkM":2jf13jej said:
I am almost finished getting my farm set up for rotational grazing and would like some input on best breeds as well as opinions on my plans.

My ultimate goal is to direct market grass-fed beef. However, it will some time to realize a cash flow from that part of the operation. In the interim, what would be a good plan for generating a cash flow? Yearlings? Calves?

In my part of the country, 20 miles southeast of Ada, Black Angus seems to rule. I assume that any short term plans should use a black animal. However, I would prefer a red breed for my long term grass-fed plans.

All ideas, opinions, suggestions are appreciated. I am posting this in the "Beginners" as well as "Breeds" forums.

There's a fella on here goes by the username Jovid. He is in Oklahoma and has some outstanding red polls. If I was gonna do grassfed where you are he would be my first phone call.

GRASS FED OR GRASS FINISHED ,,, all cattle are grass fed !!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr omfg . AND BTW it is NOT semantics and YES I AM YELLING !!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

but I am afraid

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

MarkM":ndye0ofp said:

I would go with an F1 cross, Black baldie, South Devon X Angus, Red Poll X Angus, Herford X ?, taking advantage of Hybrid Vigor.
The biggest thing you will need to be concerned with is the quality of the meat produced. This trait is not breed specific but animal specific. Your buyers will not be concerned with the color of the hyde, only the quality of what they are eating.
The second thing you need to be concerned with is the cost of getting it to their plate. You need to have efficient cattle.
The best thing for you to do is buy calves from someone that already has the reputation of producing the type of calf/meat your customers want. Put them on grass. so-on and so-forth.

hillsdown":190vi53k said:
GRASS FED OR GRASS FINISHED ,,, all cattle are grass fed !!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr omfg . AND BTW it is NOT semantics and YES I AM YELLING !!!!!

Ok,ok GRASS FINISHED :)

Point taken.

I forgot about Jovid and his Red Polls and location.

That's an excellent suggestion for what he is looking for.
Fed or finished.

hillsdown":1hvekj0d said:
I tried to invent Beef finished beef. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get them to eat hamburger meat.

I have heard that the F1 Tiger Stripes are good in the summer heat of OK, and do well on pasture. Just from what I've read ... no experience with them ... :|

CowboyBlue":18d3l23r said:
I have heard that the F1 Tiger Stripes are good in the summer heat of OK, and do well on pasture. Just from what I've read ... no experience with them ... :|
They make great mama cows but I don't think they would be suitable for an end product.

Brangus is really improving on their meat quality. Cow Creek Ranch in Alabama has a grass fed operation as well.

novatech":p5qgktwq said:
The biggest thing you will need to be concerned with is the quality of the meat produced. This trait is not breed specific but animal specific. Your buyers will not be concerned with the color of the hyde, only the quality of what they are eating.
The second thing you need to be concerned with is the cost of getting it to their plate. You need to have efficient cattle.

Perhaps you missed the other threads on this subject.

The color of the hide is related to efficiency and cost. Black cattle are hotter than lighter colored cattle when in the sun, and usually being in the sun is a requirement for grazing.

I see that it is over 100 degrees in Oklahoma today. Cattle start feeling heat stress at 70.

Cattle stressed by heat will eat less and will burn more energy trying to cool themselves. Panting, etc. Also fertility is reduced.

As you can read in these links, hide color is a significant factor in heat stress. Many more black cattle die in heat waves. Which affects animal welfare and marketing, etc.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

http://www.stockmangrassfarmer.net/cgi- ... cgi?id=570

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/Cattlemen ... 0study.pdf

My Friend, I hope that you have identified your target market and have figured how you will fit in. I mean who are you planning on selling to and who is your competition and what share of the market do yoy expect to capture. I'm sure that your business paln has all these factors and alot more outlined with "what if" strategy in place.
We have been selling "grass fed/grass finished" beef for a number of years now and one thing is certain...you have to develop a wide customer base and keep your customers serviced with the best beef you can produce at a good price.
We sell freezer beef to our regulars and sell cut beef at the Farmer's Markets...get into a market in a well-to-do neighborhood where the folks don't ask the price and don't shy away fron $19.00/lb tenderloin or $16.60/lb Porterhouse and wait in line for $5.50 lb ground beef.
Spend some money and get the best cows you can afford...we run Hereford and Angus cows under Limousin bulls and get some fast growing baldy & solid calves..just keep a eye on the Lim DOS EPD it can bite you in the arse with some flightly calves if you are not carefull.
Good luck,
Dave Mc

Well if black cows are so infertile and can't stand the heat then I should have a pasture full of open skinny cows right now . with the heat humidity and drought .we have had for the past 2 years .

Isomade":191wozq7 said:
I ain't one to tell you that the cattle business is all doom and gloom but you can't get in with high prices and no rain and expect to do anything but lose.
:nod:

and

novatech":191wozq7 said:
The best thing for you to do is buy calves from someone that already has the reputation of producing the type of calf/meat your customers want. Put them on grass. so-on and so-forth.
:nod: