Starting with Longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

ge91

Reaction score
Looking into Longhorn breed. Looking for something that is an easy calver, pretty docile/easy on fences, disease resistant and makes use of marginal land. From what I have seen from research this is the breed that I want.

Planning to start with some steers and go from there. Anyone here actually raise them and be available for some questions?

Thanks!

We have a handful of LH cows. Good money makers, and check all of your criteria. You shouldn't have any calving trouble out of those steers. LOL Welcome to the forum! Very shortly, there will be a crew along to tell you that you are wrong. Just ignore them....They live in the box.

corriente are alot like longhorn but are better in my opinion because they are smaller and tougher, you can run more corrientes on the same land as longhorns you might look into them as well

the long horns I have seen around here do not meet one criteria.....
they were not easy on fences...
jump a fence similar in style to a deer but drag the rear end to pull the fence down...
helped some guys catch a long horn bull one time and he could have had a career as a stadium jumping horse...

MtnCows93":3lxsz1u5 said:
corriente are alot like longhorn but are better in my opinion because they are smaller and tougher, you can run more corrientes on the same land as longhorns you might look into them as well
But your going to need a horse to get them from your neighbors place......about as bad as goats...;)

If you start with a couple steers and see if they are the breed you like you can get more.. if not get a different breed and try again.
You are not married to them. If you don't like them sell them and get something different. If you do keep the breed and keep going.

pdfangus":1ot7pza9 said:
the long horns I have seen around here do not meet one criteria.....
they were not easy on fences...
jump a fence similar in style to a deer but drag the rear end to pull the fence down...
helped some guys catch a long horn bull one time and he could have had a career as a stadium jumping horse...

Bulls, of any breed, are hard on fence. Speaking of bulls, good pic of your old bull on your blog. Big rascal!

ge91":1xcsq6jl said:
Looking into Longhorn breed. Looking for something that is an easy calver, pretty docile/easy on fences, disease resistant and makes use of marginal land. From what I have seen from research this is the breed that I want.

Planning to start with some steers and go from there. Anyone here actually raise them and be available for some questions?

Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88724&hilit=longhorn

Good idea to start with some steers, still may be a good idea to get them from a reputable breeder. I recently bought a longhorn heifer, and am considering a couple more possibly for a sideline niche beef project in the future. With this young heifer, I am seeing that the horns are going to not be conducive with conventional working facilities. So looking into some specialized handling equipment maybe worth while as well in decision making. For here we are not crazy about dealing with horned cattle so some think I am crazy for bringing even one in. I will likely not bring in many more. Even with gentle cattle horns add a degree of danger when working with them.

ge91":gfgyrz49 said:

Thanks!

I've got about 20 head, just a sideline project to raise some for the kids to rope. What part of the country you in?

1982vett":32gp3ciy said:
MtnCows93":32gp3ciy said:
But your going to need a horse to get them from your neighbors place......about as bad as goats...;)
true that would be a issue, id want some hot fences maybe even electric barbwire, ive got some of that and they wont even get near it

Some heart doctor in Fort Worth is telling his patient that he can eat all the beef he wants - provided it is LH

The guy was a regular customer buying a steer from me each year. He has now asked me for a LH steer and I don't have one. Maybe he has found a source now. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Started with our first longhorns this past August in NJ on about 26 acres. Purchased a bred cow with a calf, bred heifer, and a half interest in a bull. Since have calved a heifer and a bull this spring. Have enjoyed all of the new experiences with raising these longhorns.

backhoeboogie":3448ydgn said:
Some heart doctor in Fort Worth is telling his patient that he can eat all the beef he wants - provided it is LH

Getting a little off topic but.......
My cardiologist told me the same thing, except just said red meat and beef..didn't specify a breed..
He said people have heart and cholesterol/triglyceride problems, change their diet, increase their physical exercise and often go too far the other way. Mine actually told me, after looking at my diet, to "The exercise thing is good, but lay off all that dam lean pork and chicken breasts and eat more beef, you need to build blood".
My b-i-l's cardiologist told him the same thing, said he was getting anemic which really pizzed my sister off since she's a devout chicken meat fanatic. I don't think I've ever been to her house she didn't serve some kind of braised or baked chicken breast.

greybeard":2llu9tgv said:
backhoeboogie":2llu9tgv said:

Getting a little off topic but.......
My cardiologist told me the same thing, except just said red meat and beef..didn't specify a breed..
He said people have heart and cholesterol/triglyceride problems, change their diet, increase their physical exercise and often go too far the other way. Mine actually told me, after looking at my diet, to "The exercise thing is good, but lay off all that dam lean pork and chicken breasts and eat more beef, you need to build blood".
My b-i-l's cardiologist told him the same thing, said he was getting anemic which really pizzed my sister off since she's a devout chicken meat fanatic. I don't think I've ever been to her house she didn't serve some kind of braised or baked chicken breast.

We're still fattening out steers but only for ourselves. I hatched out 185 chicks and about half are roosters. I suspect I will be eating much more chicken myself but it is only a temporary thing - for now.

People are getting more into lean beef so I suspect the LH market could fill a glitch. Not my cup of tea. The LH breed has survived all these years. They can sustain themselves on lower grade forage, as noted by the original post. Low maintenance and they can fill a nitch market need too.

I don't know anyone around here that raises LH specifically for beef..just for roping calves and the 'curiosity/front pasture/horns/decorative' thing.
Brahma influenced breeds and char cross are king here in this county.

OwnedByTheCow":1dpcpl1c said:
If you start with a couple steers and see if they are the breed you like you can get more.. if not get a different breed and try again.
You are not married to them. If you don't like them sell them and get something different. If you do keep the breed and keep going.

Excellent advice. It gives me hope for the younger generation.

Latest posts