starting with limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have much first hand knowledge with any Limo.

Sometimes it is best to just shut up and listen if you want to learn something, especially since I don't know diddly about this subject.

Jo

Posted: Tue May 29, 2001 12:11 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do people mean when they refer to cattle as F-1? Thanks.

[email protected]

mom

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 1:49 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> What do people mean when they
> refer to cattle as F-1? Thanks.

It's a first cross. If you take a registered animal and breed it to an unreg. animal you get a f-1.

[email protected]

Jo

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 1:56 pm

> It's a first cross. If you take a
> registered animal and breed it to
> an unreg. animal you get a f-1.

DOES it matter if a bull or cow is the registered parent?

[email protected]

Mack Powers

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:16 pm

> DOES it matter if a bull or cow is
> the registered parent?

I was under the impression that an F-1 cross refered to the cross of 2 registered animals of different breeds. An Angus/Hereford F-1 cross would be an Angus Bull crossed with a Hereford cow. The F-1 designation allows breeders to trace the ancestery more easily. Perhaps some one more knowledgible will be able to shed more light. I will be interested in reading future responses. Thanks for listening,

Mack

[email protected]

Frankie

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:18 pm

F1 is a biological term for the first filial generation that results from crossing two purebreds of anything, beans or cattle. It's not just a term for cattle. Examples of F1 cattle would be a purebred Angus X purebred Hereford. Both parents must be purebred to get a true F1....

[email protected]

These are previous posts....Like I said lots of people have no idea what an F-1 is. But your so smart.... If we could all just be so fortunate!! Ya right get a life, and if your such an expert why are you ALWAYS on the "Beginners Board" :lol:

allenfarms":8scvqolo said:
Jo

Posted: Tue May 29, 2001 12:11 pm

What do people mean when they refer to cattle as F-1? Thanks.

[email protected]

mom

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 1:49 pm

It's a first cross. If you take a registered animal and breed it to an unreg. animal you get a f-1.

[email protected]

Jo

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 1:56 pm

> It's a first cross. If you take a
> registered animal and breed it to
> an unreg. animal you get a f-1.

DOES it matter if a bull or cow is the registered parent?

[email protected]

Mack Powers

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:16 pm

> DOES it matter if a bull or cow is
> the registered parent?

I was under the impression that an F-1 cross refered to the cross of 2 registered animals of different breeds. An Angus/Hereford F-1 cross would be an Angus Bull crossed with a Hereford cow. The F-1 designation allows breeders to trace the ancestery more easily. Perhaps some one more knowledgible will be able to shed more light. I will be interested in reading future responses. Thanks for listening,

Mack

[email protected]

Frankie

Posted: Wed May 30, 2001 8:18 pm

F1 is a biological term for the first filial generation that results from crossing two purebreds of anything, beans or cattle. It's not just a term for cattle. Examples of F1 cattle would be a purebred Angus X purebred Hereford. Both parents must be purebred to get a true F1....

[email protected]

These are previous posts....Like I said lots of people have no idea what an F-1 is. But your so smart.... If we could all just be so fortunate!! Ya right get a life, and if your such an expert why are you ALWAYS on the "Beginners Board" :lol:

To keep people like you that don't know the north end of a cow from the south end from giving people bad advice.
You have went from Gert man to Brimmer Guru to giving advice on Limo's
The real question do you even own a cow?

I bet all those people that that pmed you appreciate the fire out of posting private PM's for the world.

There you go lying again!
1) I never gave advice on Limo's.
2) And your statement about Gerts and "Brahman" ( you know the breed which you cannot spell) haha Why do you say I am a "Guru" Becouse I can Spell" It's called an Education, GET ONE!
3) North from South - Very intelligent question, what an Idiot, by the way your the "LOSER" that runs down "beginners in "beginners threads" It doesn't make us look bad for not knowing in a beginners board, it just make you look like a real A$$hole for running us down!

By the way, I never posted anyones PM's those are from a thread on page 195! Although I have recieved several PM's from people who say "just ignore CB he thinks he's God, among other things. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

allenfarms":1j5yh0vf said:
There you go lying again!
1) I never gave advice on Limo's.
2) And your statement about Gerts and "Brahman" ( you know the breed which you cannot spell) haha Why do you say I am a "Guru" Becouse I can Spell" It's called an Education, GET ONE!
3) North from South - Very intelligent question, what an Idiot, by the way your the "LOSER" that runs down "beginners in "beginners threads" It doesn't make us look bad for not knowing in a beginners board, it just make you look like a real A$$hole for running us down!

You have got the spelling thing down. :shock:

okay. Still reading on this thread but the content is taking a nose dive.

Heck I might find a bargain limo some day at the sale barn. :shock:

I better just stick to reading, if they are going to start grading the spelling. I am in trouble.

I should probably stay out of this, but...just wanted to say...that to me the term "Brammer" appeared to denote the accent....not a lack of education....It appeared to spell it like he would pronounce it.....IMO

haase":3dvuboch said:
Thought I would try and post some pictures, just got them two days ago,keeping them in the pen until tommorrow and then let them out in the pasture. Bucket feeding them and they come right up to me in the morning everything is pretty calm. Hope these pictures come out.
IMG_0257.jpg
Good going Haase, You got yourself some nice looking calves. I did not mean all of them are crazy. I kept a few of my limo heifers from last year. They look just like yours. I have just one black heifer and the rest are red. They will all be ready for breeding in May. I am using a beefmaster bull on them. I'll just have to wait and see how their off spring turns out.
Good luck

Neighbor about six miles south has a good looking herd of limms, he culled hard and heavy on dispostion has a pretty decent herd of cattle now.

aplusmnt":15eluwzl said:
To be fair Caustic it probably confused him when he Googled F-1 and articles about Formula 1 race cars popped up.

No one I ever grew up around used "tiger stripe" terminology to describe cattle. They were always referred to as "bindles". One does indeed have to learn to interpret terminology from region to region. (e.g. stock tank in Texas refers to a man made earthen body of water)

Best one I ever heard was when someone asked a Bostonian what time it was. He said, "Its a quarter of eight". The reply was, "That can't be right. A quarter of eight is two" :lol: :lol:

If you read these forums long enough, you'll figure out what folks are referring to, in your common terminology.

backhoeboogie":3jze0uis said:
aplusmnt":3jze0uis said:
To be fair Caustic it probably confused him when he Googled F-1 and articles about Formula 1 race cars popped up.

No one I ever grew up around used "tiger stripe" terminology to describe cattle. They were always referred to as "bindles". One does indeed have to learn to interpret terminology from region to region. (e.g. stock tank in Texas refers to a man made earthen body of water)

Best one I ever heard was when someone asked a Bostonian what time it was. He said, "Its a quarter of eight". The reply was, "That can't be right. A quarter of eight is two" :lol: :lol:

If you read these forums long enough, you'll figure out what folks are referring to, in your common terminology.

Yea that Tank thing really throws my mind off. We have Ponds and Water Tanks or Troughs that you buy at the Local Tractor supply :lol:

When I see some of you Texans type Brahmer or Brahmier or how ever it is I just picture in my mind a southern draw and you guys talking about them with the slang you use at the sale barn. Kind of sounds catchy bouncing around in my empty head :lol:

Plus we have to remember according to Christy Crowder buys Fags and Smokes them :lol:

Caustic Burno":vo7r5015 said:
Neighbor about six miles south has a good looking herd of limms, he culled hard and heavy on dispostion has a pretty decent herd of cattle now.
Thats our neighbor too. He has about 100- 150 head or so. And they work for him. He also culls heavy. He has a good operation going. He only breds one time a year. Then he pens his bulls up. Cows are all on one side,2 yr old are in the middle and his yearling heifers are next to our place. I just know I didn't really care for them. I'd take brahma's or brahma crosses anyday.

As inexperienced as I am in Cattle I do have a little Limi experiance. The only one I ever owned was bought as a show heifer for my son, and ended up at the sale barn after never showing it. She was just plum scary.

But most of my experiance came while in College at NEO A&M in Miami OK. I worked for a Limousin ranch in the evenings, Weekends and Summer. This was 25 years ago and they did not have no Docile epd then.

I helped with general herd as far as feeding and checking them. But my main job was to break all the heifers and bulls to halter for his big sale.

The thing was they were not show animals they were just going to be sold as breeding stock (maybe a couple show ones) but he wanted them broke to halter because then they would be gentle when people came to look at them and when they went through the sale ring.

I spent months working with them calves just to tame them down enough people would not think they were crazy. About got hurt a few times. But i did learn how to halter break calves with the crash lesson.

you know when i hear folks talk about crazy cattle i often wonder about their method and experiance working cattle. .....working with brahman and brahman influance over the years has taught me to set down and puff a cigar or have a cold one. that cow will do what you want but you aint gonna force her. nothing will mess up a good animal than bad handling you got too set back and watch the cow, ive seen good cattlemen move cattle just by crossing their eyes ;-)

ALACOWMAN":no2m2zkm said:
that cow will do what you want but you aint gonna force her. ;-)

You're absolutely correct ALA. When I got my first herd of brahmans I had just finished Bud Williams school. Up to that point it was a rodeo twice a year to work the cows. I took a totally different approach and found the brahmans heifers were easier to work because they were being trained differently. And a handful of them were not docile...they would run strangers out of the pasture.

Proverbs 12:10":26apy97p said:
ALACOWMAN":26apy97p said:
that cow will do what you want but you aint gonna force her. ;-)

You're absolutely correct ALA. When I got my first herd of brahmans I had just finished Bud Williams school. Up to that point it was a rodeo twice a year to work the cows. I took a totally different approach and found the brahmans heifers were easier to work because they were being trained differently. And a handful of them were not docile...they would run strangers out of the pasture.

It was Brahman influenced cattle that really taught me how to work cattle.

dun

thats right.. they will teach you cattle handling 101 pronto you say its gonna work this way. while their saying like he!! it is. then after a few quik lessons your ready to listen to reason :p

Anyone familiar with this?

Civil/civility - civilized conduct; especially : COURTESY, POLITENESS b : a polite act or expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts