starting with limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

haase

Reaction score
New to this site, and have a few questions. I have been reading alot of these threads and learning some good Information. Im starting with a couple of heifers and four steers.
I'm getting them from a friend of mine who has a large limousin
herd and he is going to help me get started. Most things I 've read on these cattle are good. Is there anything negative or bad habits I should watch for. Thanks, for the help.

Limis aren't the most docile of cattle. Some are just plain crazy. Make sure his aren't the kind who head for the hills when you open a gate.

jkwilson":11p8uuic said:
Limis aren't the most docile of cattle. Some are just plain crazy. Make sure his aren't the kind who head for the hills when you open a gate.

You have Lim's?

jkwilson":94yxrubl said:
This is very true statement. Have you been around your friends cattle at all ? Have you watched him work them ? I would suggest you do that first...And I do mean be around them and watch how they act. We sold all but 3 red limo cow. They are fairly gentle. As for the rest of black and red ones we had......I think they were crossed with a jack rabbit and quarter
horse. To hard to pen and work. So they were all sold and replaced.
Good Luck !

Joy in Texas":21bnhu23 said:
jkwilson":21bnhu23 said:
This is very true statement. Have you been around your friends cattle at all ? Have you watched him work them ? I would suggest you do that first...And I do mean be around them and watch how they act. We sold all but 3 red limo cow. They are fairly gentle. As for the rest of black and red ones we had......I think they were crossed with a jack rabbit and quarter
horse. To hard to pen and work. So they were all sold and replaced.
Good Luck !

How about some background on your Lim's? Why do you think they were that bad. I got some and there no worse than other breeds.

I have been around his herd but not when he was working them. Its hard to tell when there in a barn and pen. Im putting a barn up for him this weekend maybe I can watch them a little closer. I have a small pen and they will be on pasture, I dont want to get them home and have them run through my fences.

Go to nalf.org. They have alot of info. Lims does not have the market on knotheads. I've worked with most of the breeds and they also have knotheads. I would like to see their milk ability a little better.

r and s peckman":qd4gp2p4 said:
Go to nalf.org. They have alot of info. Lims does not have the market on knotheads. I've worked with most of the breeds and they also have knotheads. I would like to see their milk ability a little better.

No but they have more than there share of loose screws when the breed association adds an EPD for docility there is a problem.
I ran a Limo bull on a crossbred herd for four years and never retained one heifer from that bull they were nuts. There will never be another limo here. I have had about ever kind of bull you can think of and when it gets down to it you just have a hard time beatin an Angus, Brammer or Hereford on crossbred cows.

we have ran limo bulls on brammer crossed cattle since the 80's with very few troubles it all comes down to buy'n a bull from a good breeder where you can walk among and have'n cows that you can do the same with at home. if you just throw out your feed or hay and run and the cattle never see anyone then of couse they are going to be nutty . the key is putting time in to your cattle if they know you then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. it only takes 10 or 15 min. to walk around and through and the herd will move like you are one of them.

I'm not knocking the breed. I just don't want anymore of them.There's a short circuit in them somewhere.
I probably spend more time than I should with our cows. So it shouldn't be a fear of humans. Our bull was gentle as he could be. But the cows and calves were something else. It was down right embarassing at the sale barn when I hauled calves the last time. Mine were not all sold yet.So I went up in the stands to wait. Here came this heifer calf,flying out the shoot ,slamming on the bars........The lady setting up doing the paper work got my attention. Oh yeah it was one of mine. The other 2 did the same thing.
The guy we sold one of our bulls to is going to get rid of him this year. He bought him because of the low birth weights. But he can't deal with them being nuts. I tried to tell him......

All of mine are fine. In fact after the mew year I'll be looking for two more females.

lilbitfarm":t69r1l3n said:
we have ran limo bulls on brammer crossed cattle since the 80's with very few troubles it all comes down to buy'n a bull from a good breeder where you can walk among and have'n cows that you can do the same with at home. if you just throw out your feed or hay and run and the cattle never see anyone then of couse they are going to be nutty . the key is putting time in to your cattle if they know you then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. it only takes 10 or 15 min. to walk around and through and the herd will move like you are one of them.

Thats not true cause that limo bull wasn't the worse bull I have ran but his offspring were nuts.

I agree with you CB. Our bull was fine, but the offspring were something else. I wonder what causes that genetic's ?? Most people around here that had them .Don't want anymore of them. I know the man next to us has around 150 head of red
limo's. If you ask him he wouldn't have anything else. So I guess it's to each his own. I wonder if it makes a difference if they are red or black? Our bull was black,afew black cows and a few red ones. It seemed to me the black cows had the worst behaving calves. Well those that were crossed bred were just as bad as the black calves.

I at one time was thinking about getting limos, so I went to a state production sale to check them out. We went into the back to look at the heifers before they ran into the sale ring, they would open the gate and yell here she comes and everyone would jump up on the fence to let the heifers run by. Almost every heifer was the same way, I turned around and told my dad I'll stick with herefords and we left. Though my cousin and unlce run a fairly nice limo herd, they say they don't have to much trouble with docility. But they don't keep the high headed ones regardless of the calves they give.

Well I'll be damned! This is the first time I have ever heard ANYONE say that Brahma (brammer?) were more gentle that ANYTHING. I just got rid of my last Brahma/Brahma cross because they were crazier than loons and able to jump a five wire fence flatfooted without touching the top wire. I even had to put one down because I couldn't keep her off the road and out of my cultivated fields.

What I have now are mostly Limo (a few white face) and they are very easy to work, stay where you put them, bring pretty good return at the market and will eat out of your hand if you let them. Both of my bulls are pure bred Limo's and are very gentle.

You will have nutso cattle with any breed (my opinion) but out of the 65 Brahma's my Dad left to me, only three were gentle, the bull and two cows, everything else would fight a circle saw and if they even saw a horse in the next county they stampeded to the brush.

I saw a comment above about the milk and I have to agree, Limos aren't milk cows. But they seem to be able to raise pretty decent calves so if the calf gets enough milk that's all that counts. Like I say, they aren't Holstiens.

I'd say you made a pretty good choice. If you get one that's a little too fiesty haul her off and get you another one.

You lead Brammers you don't drive them the problem with brammers is they are smarter than most people trying to work them. They are definitely not for the inexperienced.

worked on his heifer barn today and had a chance to see him work with his herd. I did not see anything that would scare me away from limos. Out of 15 bulls he only has 1 that he has problems with and nothing out of the ordinary. He left the gate open after feeding the cows, 6 of them were out on the driveway and before he was back down to the gate they were back in the pasture. The reason I am starting out with limos is because he is willing to help me get started, an we are swapping some labor for some heifers and steers.

Sounds like a good deal...the Lims that we have are pretty mellow. I'd watch the herd for a few days and see which ones you'll be getting. Ask about the EPS of the animals.
The breed has a EPD for docility...meaning that it is a trait that needed work and from what I've been told the breeders have been culling heavy for temperment for years.
Oh yeah...they also are known for high birth weights...lucky that the calves have long skinny heads.
Breed ours to angus and haven't had any trouble, produce some real nice calves.
And that's my two bits worth....DMc

Good luck Haase.. You never know know you might end up with gentle ones. Like I said I have 3 red limo cows left. And the only reason I kept them is they have a great calf every year and they are not crazy. Keep us up dated how your adventure goes and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts