starting with limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybodies experience is different , but if you choose your initial Limo girls with an eye to disposition, and cull for it as well, you will have no regrets. You will also reap the benefits of using the Carcass Breed!

I started out with a dozen limo heifers and some other lim crosses with only horse experience before that. You will find that the herd will reflect how it is managed. If you spend time with them, teach them you are to be respected, keep things calm and quiet - then that is the type of herd you will end up with. If you neglect them, let them go wild, don't cull the psychos - then you will get a different herd.

Sounds like a great set up for getting started too.
Good luck and once you see those limo calves you will know you made a great choice. :D

Thanks for the advice and help, spent another day there and It was pretty calm. Thanks again for the help.

haase":3rhgizlh said:
Thanks for the advice and help, spent another day there and It was pretty calm. Thanks again for the help.

Ours got in my way yesterday when I was fixing fences. Cull any crazy's you get just like you would with any breed.

I agree with you Earl T. I have had some Brahma bulls, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, and my latest is a Black Limo. This bull I have now makes some of the finest calves I have EVER had. Low birth weights, gentle, and they do put on the weight fast! Plus, the bull is a good one, but he doesnt like to be confined. As far as the calves being wild.. NONE have been that way.

Great opportunity for you to get started.
Pros: Great growth breed, heavy muscled. Offer blacks or reds - polled or horned.
Cons: Have had really bad dispo, but breeders have been working on that bad trait (culling & EPD's)
Poor milkers & hard to grade choice. Late maturing sexually, and have been low fertility (accoring the the Nat'l Limo Assn.) Been know for really hard calving, but breeders have also been trying to improve this problem.
As with ALL breeds, they have had problems that modern breeders have been trying to change.
If you study & learn, you can choose bulls that will compliment your females to give you the type of cattle you want. Whether it's PB Limo bulls or other breed, you have many choices.

Limomike":1rhr1rop said:
I agree with you Earl T. I have had some Brahma bulls, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, and my latest is a Black Limo. This bull I have now makes some of the finest calves I have EVER had. Low birth weights, gentle, and they do put on the weight fast! Plus, the bull is a good one, but he doesnt like to be confined. As far as the calves being wild.. NONE have been that way.
exactly same story here --my black limo bull gives the best calves I've ever had

carl

Thought I would try and post some pictures, just got them two days ago,keeping them in the pen until tommorrow and then let them out in the pasture. Bucket feeding them and they come right up to me in the morning everything is pretty calm. Hope these pictures come out.
IMG_0257.jpg

looks like you landed a pretty good deal. Any calve I can trade a little time and muscle for is a good calf to me.

we started with the limi crosses for beef and now most of the cows have a bit too.. what to look for is a jumper.. they can jump on a dime and over a fence too...

never had a problem with marbling or meat quality out of them, infact..the limo naturally has a big rump and long body to make great steaks out of. i think some of them are naturally crazy at a young age...but they grow out of it or are butchered here before too long. Never put yourself in a compromising/dangerous positon.

Nice calves...like the dark red one.. we have one looks almost like that. the calves parents are: Cow is Angus/Limi (black Limi), Bull is Limi/ Angus/Herford (Black white face)... they were both easy keepers and wide in the back.

wish you the best. Donna

Hey, you sure you didnt come over to my place and take those pics? haha.. I got some great heifers and steers from my Black Limo, and they are just as easy to work and walk around as any I have ever had. I love the way they look, and easy for my Xcross cows (mostly beefmaster) to calve.

Earl Thigpen":1k0222u9 said:
Well I'll be damned! This is the first time I have ever heard ANYONE say that Brahma (brammer?)

If you wanna be technical it is actually Brahman.

YES!!! Someone who can spell, must be an expert! Didn't you take that class in school, or doesn't your area have those?

allenfarms":3f2xmms2 said:
YES!!! Someone who can spell, must be an expert! Didn't you take that class in school, or doesn't your area have those?

Learn what a cow is before you start trying to teach grammer 101.
Just last week you didn't know an F-1 from a PB.
Earl contributes to the board I can read his post just fine without you correcting him.

TONS OF PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT AN F1 IS AND THESE PEOPLE HAVE RAISED CATTLE FOR YEARS, REFER TO THE BEG. OF THIS THESE THREADS. 195-200 YES AND OF COURSE I KNOW WHAT A PUREBRED IS, NO ONE COULD KNOW WHAT ALL YOUR LITTLE ABBREVIATIONS MIGHT MEAN.

allenfarms":1j6u9rin said:
TONS OF PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT AN F1 IS AND THESE PEOPLE HAVE RAISED CATTLE FOR YEARS, REFER TO THE BEG. OF THIS THESE THREADS. 195-200 YES AND OF COURSE I KNOW WHAT A PUREBRED IS, NO ONE COULD KNOW WHAT ALL YOUR LITTLE ABBREVIATIONS MIGHT MEAN.

I hate to tell you the little abbrevation F-1 is not even cattle 101 its preschool.
Thank goodness no one mentioned an F-2 you would have been as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts