starting the first Ultrablack herd in Northern Minnesota

Help Support CattleToday:

They look good. They have good wind breaks it looks like, so they should do fine. Are they from somewhere with winters near like y'all have?

They look like some nice cattle. I'm curious what brought you to Ultrablack? Do you know what it costs to register an Ultrablack?

I don't really understand the reason for Ultrablack. I'm guessing it is primarily to draw in some registration fees to the Brangus Association from the large number of owners of Registered Angus cattle. It doesn't seem to me that these animals would provide any benefit beyond that which you could already get from Brangus.

By my calculations these cattle are predominantly Angus, so unless you are breeding them to non-Angus cattle, you would not actually receive much benefit from hybrid vigor. A Brangus bull is a breed that contains 37.5% Brahman blood and 62.5% Angus blood. An Ultrablack, I read, would be between 12.5% to 87.5% Brangus and the remaining blood should come from Registered Black Angus. Doing the math, it works out to an animal that would be as much as 95.3% Angus and no less than 67.2% Angus. If you're looking for hybrid vigor when breeding to the average black cow with Angus already in her heritage, wouldn't you be better to just stick with Brangus, or better yet some breed that isn't already more than half Angus blood? If you're breeding cows with little Angus blood, Ultrablack could give you that vigor, but so would a straight Angus bull.

Please don't take these comments as criticism. Your cattle look good.

Just think. You could of had a V8! There are a 100 ways to get black. This is not the time to follow the herd.
Black for Black's sake is going to be the Susan B Anthony of the beef industry . The commercial Angus herd is
bordering on total genetic pollution with the exception of a few reputable breeders. Best wishes to them..

Just think. You could of had a V8! There are a 100 ways to get black. This is not the time to follow the herd.
Black for Black's sake is going to be the Susan B Anthony of the beef industry . The commercial Angus herd is
bordering on total genetic pollution with the exception of a few reputable breeders. Best wishes to them..
Thank the whole "Certified Angus" bs.

The Brangus Bull wintered no problem one of the coldest winters we have had in year -45 below with the wind chill at -58 below, didn't freeze anything and when semen tested this spring passed with flying colors, calves have been doing well up here.

Shevlin, mn, you are a ways up there. Calves look good. Can I ask what brought you to the ultrablack breed? You can pm me if you prefer.

I wanted to do straight brangus up here for years, I had a real nice set of brangus cattle when I lived in Northwest Arkansas , I knew I also need to start with a base that was native to this part of the country, planning on breeding up to purebred brangus herd in the future I know that's going to take years but all I have is time.

Arkansas to Minnesota. Just curious... Why Minnesota? My understanding is Brahman-influenced cattle are bred for southern parts of the United States, but if it works then more power to ya. Glad the cattle are working for you. Wish you well. Thanks for sharing pics.

Latest posts